Country Profile: Ice Cream Sector in the US
United States Ice Cream sector accounted for a volume share of 36.5% of the global market and 93.5% of the regional (North America) market in 2016. The sector was valued at US$56,953.7 Million in 2016 and is forecast to grow at a CAGR of 2.3% during 2016-2021. Rising health-consciousness among consumers, shift in consumer preference towards health & wellness products and indulgence towards novelty Ice Creams are the key growth drivers for the Ice Cream sector in the country. Per capita consumption of Ice Cream products stood at 23kg, which is high when compared to the global and North America levels of 4kg and 16.5kg, respectively, in 2016.
‘Take-Home and Bulk Ice Cream’ was the largest with value sales of US$31,282.0Million in 2016. The market is expected to register the fastest growth at a CAGR of 2.4% during the forecast period (2016-2021).
On-trade transactions account for the majority share in the distribution of Ice Cream products in the US. In 2016, On-trade transactions held a 80.3% value share, followed by Hypermarkets & Supermarkets with a 12.9% share. Food & Drinks Specialists and Convenience Stores accounted for shares of 5.1% and 1.5%, respectively, in the same year. Rigid Plastics is the most commonly used packaging material in the US Ice Cream sector. In 2016, it accounted for a volume share of 42.5%, followed by Paper & Board and Flexible Packaging with volume shares of 32% and 25.5%, respectively.
Blue Bell is the leading brand in the US Ice Cream sector. The top five brands in the sector accounted for a 25.5% value share, while private labels and artisanal producersheld14.3% and 10.3% value shares, respectively, in 2016. ‘Food Minus’ is an important Health & Wellness product attribute, while ‘Weight & Shape Management’ is the most sought after consumer benefit in the US Ice Cream sector.
The report Country Profile: Ice Cream Sector in the US provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of package materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
In particular, this report provides the following analysis -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021. The overall market value and volume included in the report is split on the basis of On-trade and Off-trade
- Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for Artisanal Ice Cream, Impulse Ice Cream - Single Serve, and Take-Home and Bulk Ice Cream with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021
- Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016
- Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as On-trade, Cash & Carries and warehouse Clubs, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others
- Packaging data: consumption breakdown for package materials and pack types in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Glass, Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Plastics, and others; Pack data for: Carton, Film, Bag/Sachet, Tub, Wrapper, Bottle, and Tube.
Beyond Better Foods LLC., Coolhaus, Focus Brands, Nestle, Mars, Incorporated, Turkey Hill Dairy, Unilever, Wells Enterprises, Inc., J&J Snack Foods Corp., Adirondack Creamery Inc, Agave Dream, Blue Bell Creameries, L.P., Blue Marble Ice Cream, Ciao Bella Gelato Company, Inc., Conagra Foods, Inc., Dairy Farmers Of America, Inc., Dean Foods, Dunkin` Donuts, Eden Creamery LLC., Graeter`s Inc., Hudsonville Creamery and Ice Cream Company, LLC, McNeil Nutritionals, LLC, Mikawaya, LLC., Oregon Ice Cream Co., Perry’s Ice Cream Co., Inc, Prairie Farms Dairy, Rich Products Corporation, Talenti Gelato & Sorbetto, The Fresh Ice Cream Company LLC, The Hershey Company, Three Twins Organic, Inc., Tillamook County Creamery Association, Tropicale Foods, Inc. , Sharon`s Sorbet Inc.Scope
Reasons to buy
- Of the three markets analysed, ‘Take-Home and Bulk Ice Cream’ is the largest as well as fastest growing category, registering a CAGR of 2.7% during 2011-2016
- On-trade transactions accounted for more than three-fourth of share in the distribution of Ice Cream products in the country
- Carton - Folding is the only primary outer type used in the US Ice Cream sector
- Kids & Babies and Older Consumers together accounted for more than half share in the consumption of Ice Cream
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Ice Cream products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion.