Country Profile: Confectionery Sector in the UK
United Kingdom Confectionery sector accounted for a volume share of 4.3% of the global market and 15.4% of the regional (Western Europe) market, in 2016. The sector was valued at £6,361.6 Million (US$8,581.2 Million) in 2016 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.4% during 2016-2021. Rising disposable income and, increasing demand for distinct flavors, high quality and exotic products is driving the UK Confectionery sector. Per capita consumption stood at 8.32kg when compared to the global and Western Europe levels of 2.46kg and 8.57kg, respectively, in 2016.
Chocolate was the largest with value sales of £4,596.9 Million (US$6,200.7 Million) in 2016. Furthermore, it is expected to grow the fastest at a CAGR of 3.7% compared to Sugar Confectionery (2.6%) and Gum (1.7%).
Hypermarkets & Supermarkets was the leading distribution channel in the UK Confectionery sector, accounting for a total value share of 52% in 2016. It was followed by Convenience Stores and Food & Drinks Specialists with shares of 25.6% and 13%, respectively, in the same year. Flexible Packaging is the most commonly used package material in the UK Confectionery sector. In 2016, it accounted for a volume share of 90.6%, followed by Rigid Plastics and Paper & Board with shares of 5.3% and 3.9%, respectively.
The top five brands in the UK Confectionery sector accounted for 29.5% value share, in 2016. Private labels accounted for a 6% share by value in the same year. Health & Wellness attributes such as ‘Free From’ and ‘Naturally Healthy’ and consumer benefits such as ‘Health Management’ and ‘General Wellbeing’ are the most sought after Health & Wellness claims in the UK Confectionery sector.
The report Country Profile: Confectionery Sector in the UK provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of package materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
In particular, this report provides the following analysis -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021.
- Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for Chocolate, Gum, and Sugar Confectionery with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021.
- Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016.
- Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as Cash & Carries and warehouse Clubs, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others.
- Packaging data: consumption breakdown for package materials and pack types in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Glass, Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Plastics, and others; Pack data for: Carton, Film, Bag/Sachet, Tub, Wrapper, Bottle, and Tube.
Mondelez International, Inc,Mars, Incorporated,Nestle,Thorntons Plc,Hotel Chocolat,Chocoladefabriken Lindt & Sprüngli AG,Haribo GmbH & Co. KG,Perfetti Van Melle SpA,Haribo GmbH & Co. KG,Ferrero,Lotte Co., Ltd.,Tangerine Confectionery Ltd.,August Storck Kg,Cloetta Ab,Swizzels Matlow Limited.,Pez International Gmbh,Swizzels Matlow Limited.,August Storck Kg,Booja-Booja,Fox`s Confectionery Ltd,Mr Stanley`s,Prestat Ltd,Jelly Belly Candy Company,Peppersmith HQ,The Jelly Bean Factory,Alfred Ritter GmbH & Co. KG.,Lofthouse Of Fleetwood Ltd.,Perfetti Van Melle SpA,Peppa Pig,Montezuma`s,R.Crawford,Orkla Group,Burnt Sugar Limited,Bach,Darrell Lea Chocolate Shop Pty Ltd.Scope
Reasons to buy
- The Confectionery sector in the UK accounted for 15.4% volume share in the Western European region
- The UK ranks fifth on the extent of fragmentation
- The the top five brands accounting for a 29.5% share in 2016.
- The per capita consumption of Confectionery is higher in the UK compared to the global level
- Per capita consumption of Chocolate is noticeably high in the UK compared to global and regional levels
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Confectionery products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.