Country Profile: Bakery & Cereals Sector in Thailand
Thailand’s GDP per capita grew at a CAGR of 4% during 2011-2016 and reached ฿203,459.0 in 2016. Growth picked up after 2014, driven by expansion of the manufacturing industry and rise in tourism. The growing economy is expected to have a positive influence on the Bakery & Cereals sector.
Thailand’s Bakery & Cereals sector accounted for a volume share of 1.2% of the regional (Asia-Pacific) market, in 2016. The sector was valued at ฿39,757.2 Million (US$1,126.8 Million) in 2016 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5% during 2016-2021. Per capita consumption stood at 3.5kg when compared to the global and Asia-Pacific levels of 26.4kg and 5.9kg, respectively in 2016.
‘Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies’ is the largest with value sales of ฿12,580.7 Million (US$356.6 Million) in 2016. Furthermore, Bread & Rolls is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.5% compared to Energy Bars, Baking Ingredients, Baking Mixes, Dough Products, Breakfast Cereals, Savory Biscuits, Cookies (Sweet Biscuits) (4.8%), Morning Goods (4.3%), ‘Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies’ (3.4%), and Cereal Bars.
Hypermarkets & Supermarkets is the leading distribution channel in the Thailand’s Bakery & Cereals sector, accounting for a total value share of 45.4% in 2016. It is followed by Food & Drinks Specialists and Convenience Stores, which accounted for market shares of 30.7% and 21.5% respectively, in the same year. Flexible Packaging is the most commonly used packaging material in the Thailand’s Bakery & Cereals sector with a share of 71.3% in 2016. This is followed by Rigid Plastics and Paper & Board with shares of 22.7% and 4.9%, respectively.
Health & Wellness attributes such as ‘Food Minus’ and ‘Functional & Fortified’ and consumer benefits such as ‘General Wellbeing’ and ‘Weight & Shape Management’ are the most sought after Health & Wellness claims in the Thailand’s Bakery & Cereals sector.
The report Country Profile: Bakery & Cereals Sector in Thailand provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of packaging materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
In particular, this report provides the following analysis -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021
- Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for Baking Ingredients, Baking Mixes, Breads & Rolls, Breakfast Cereals, Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies, Cereal Bars, Cookies (Sweet Biscuits), Dough Products, Energy Bars, Morning Goods and Savory Biscuits with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021
- Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016
- Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as Cash & Carries and Warehouse Clubs, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others
- Packaging data: Consumption breakdown for packaging materials and containers in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Packaging material data for Glass, Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Plastics, and others; container data for: Jar, Bottle, Bag/Sachet, Tub, Box, Pouch, and Tube.
General Mills, Inc., Kim Chua Group Co., Ltd., Artisanal Producers, Bakerland, C&W Interfoods Co Ltd, C.P. Retailing And Marketing Co., Ltd., European Food Public Company Limited, President`s Bakery Limited, Bio-Familia AG, Bright Food (Group) Co., Ltd., C. Hahne Mühlenwerke Gmbh & Co. Kg, Cereal Partners Worldwide S.A., PepsiCo, Inc.,The Kellogg Company, Dorset Cereals Ltd, Nature`s Path Foods, Inc., Useful Food Co.,Ltd., Orion Confectionery Co, Ltd.,S&P Syndicate Public Company Limited, Xongdur Thai Organic Food Co.,Ltd., A. Loacker Ag, Bahlsen Gmbh & Co. Kg,Campbell Soup Company, Ezaki Glico co., Ltd, Friendship Co., Ltd., JG Summit Holdigs Inc., Kraft Foods Group, Inc.,Lotte Co., Ltd., Monde Nissin Corporation, Mondelez International, Inc, PT MAYORA INDAH Tbk, Thai President Foods Public Company Limited., Unilever Plc, Walkers Shortbread Ltd., Munchy`s Group, Perfect Food , Manufacturing (M) Sdn. Bhd., Hup Seng Perusahaan Makanan (M) Sdn. Bhd.Scope
Reasons to buy
- Thailand’s Bakery & Cereals sector is forecast to register value growth of 5% during 2016-2021.
- Bread & Rolls is forecast to register the fastest growth rate during 2016-2021.
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets is the largest distribution channel in Hong Kong's Bakery & Cereals sector.
- The top five brands in Thailand’s Bakery & Cereals sector accounted for 18.1% value share, in 2016.
- Flexible Packaging is the most commonly used packaging material in Thailand’s Bakery & Cereals sector.
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Bakery & Cereals products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.