- Market highlights 4
- Demographic, macroeconomic and regulatory context 5
- Demographic and macroeconomic context 6
- Regulatory context 8
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook 9
- Total telecom service revenue 10
- Mobile services market 12
- Fixed services market 18
- Pay-TV services market 22
- Competitive landscape and company snapshots 25
- Competitive landscape 26
- ICE (Kolbi) 28
- Movistar Costa Rica 29
- Claro Costa Rica 30
- Tigo Costa Rica 31
- Additional resources 32
- Baseline forecast assumptions 33
- Data tables 34
- Glossary 36
- Research methodology 39
- About the authors 40
- Country Intelligence Report coverage 41
- About GlobalData 42
Costa Rica: Country Intelligence Report
Costa Rica’s telecom and pay-TV services market will grow at a CAGR of 2.0% over 2017-2022 (3.5% in local currency) driven by projected growth in mobile data, fixed broadband and pay-TV segments. Mobile data revenue will expand at the fastest CAGR of 11.6% over 2017-2022, driven by rising smartphone subscriptions, growing adoption of 3G/4G services, and increasing consumption of video content and social media on mobile devices.
Kolbi and new players in the IPTV space, such as Telecable and Coopelasca, are driving IPTV adoption through attractive pricing plans and multiplay packages.
Mobile voice revenue will decline over the forecast period due to growing consumer preference for messaging OTT communication solutions. Fixed broadband revenue will grow from, led by steady growth in cable connections and a projected rise in FTTH/B subscriptions backed by fiber network expansion plans by operators such as Jasec, Telecable, Coopelasca, Coopeguanacaste and Kolbi.
Mobile subscription penetration in Costa Rica will grow to 188.8% by 2022, driven by the continued rise in number of handset SIMs and projected growth in M2M subscriptions. M2M connections will surpass 200,000 numbers by year-end 2017.
The report Costa Rica: Country Intelligence Report, provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Costa Rica today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022.
Specifically, this report allows the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in Costa Rica.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV markets.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom and pay-TV services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
ICE (Kolbi), Tigo Costa Rica, Movistar Costa Rica, Claro Costa RicaScope
Reasons to buy
- The overall telecom and pay-TV services revenue in Costa Rica will grow at a CAGR of 2.0% during 2017-2022.
- Mobile revenue will account for 63.2% of the total telecom & pay-TV services revenue in 2022, driven by increasing adoption of 4G services.
- ICE (Kolbi) leads the Costa Rica’s mobile market in terms of mobile subscriptions for 2017, followed by Movistar Costa Rica. Both operators compete on the basis of network expansions/upgrades and competitively priced offers to strengthen their market position.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Costa Rica’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying GlobalData’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Costa Rica’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Costa Rica’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Costa Rica.