Cigars and Cigarillos in Belgium and Luxembourg, 2019
The Benelux market for tobacco products is relatively large. Sales in 2017 were 25,775 tons with a fall to 25,102 tons forecasted for 2018. Cigarettes are the largest product group and accounted for 49.7% of the total tobacco products market in 2018 but were down 60% recorded in 2008. Smoking tobacco accounted for 47.8% of the market in 2018, which is up on 36% in 2008. Cigars and cigarillos accounted for the remaining 2.5% of the market in 2018, which is down on 4% in 2008. Smokeless tobacco is a marginal sector.
Belgium is the larger of the Benelux markets with sales of 271.5 million pieces forecasted in 2018. Luxembourg was expected to achieve sales of 39.5 million pieces in 2018. Cigar and cigarillo volumes have continued their downward spiral since 2008 as both competition from other tobacco products and fewer opportunities to smoke adversely affect the market. Forecasts for 2018 were for a small increase in volumes helped in large part by stability in fiscal policies in both Belgium and Luxembourg to 311 million pieces.
Imports for Belgium were 2,053 million pieces in 2017 with an equivalent value of €72.3 million. The Netherlands and Indonesia are both major sources. Luxembourg’s imports in 2017 were 173 million pieces or €11.3 million, for which Belgium and the Netherlands were the main sources. Belgian exports in 2017 were 4,602 million pieces with the Netherlands the main export market.
It is estimated that 15.4% of adults were regular smokers in 2017, equivalent to 1.4 million individuals. Men accounted for 60% of smokers, 847,000, and women accounted for 40% or 563,000. The Benelux cigar and cigarillo market supports a number of companies. As of 2017 the main contenders in the market were STG (76%), Agio (9.9%), and J Cortès (8.5%). Smaller players include Heintz van Landewyck/Torrekens (4.2%), and distributors Cubacigar (0.9%) and Zabia.
Overall volumes are forecast to drop 40.3%, from 311 million pieces in 2018 to 185.7 million pieces in 2028. Annual per capita consumption is forecast to drop from 26.9 pieces in 2018 to 15.2 pieces by 2028, a decrease of 43.5%. Cigarillos will suffer the greatest fall in both national markets. The Benelux market for cigars and cigarillos is in a period of long-term decline. Both cigar and cigarillo sales are forecast to fall back further over the next decade with rising prices and growing health awareness the main reason.
Cigars and Cigarillos in Belgium and Luxembourg, 2019, is an analytical report which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Benelux tobacco market. It covers market size and structure along with per capita and overall consumption. Additionally, it focuses on brand data, retail pricing, prospects, and forecasts for sales and consumption until 2028.
Companies mentioned: STG, Agio, J Cortès
Reasons to buy
- Cigar and cigarillo volumes have continued their downward spiral since 2008 as both competition from other tobacco products and fewer opportunities to smoke adversely affect the market.
- Belgium is the larger of the Benelux markets with sales of 271.5 million pieces forecasted in 2018.
- Belgium is a major cigar producing country despite a number of closures of local production facilities.
- The current ad valorem rate for both countries is 10%.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
- Executive summary
- Market context
- Benelux: tobacco products market, %, tons, 2008 & 2018
- Tobacco products market (tons), 2008-2018
- Market size and structure
- Cigars & cigarillos consumption, overall, million pieces, 2008-2018
- Sales by country, million pieces, 2008-2018
- Per capita pieces per year, 2008-2018
- Cigars & cigarillos: market segmentation, 2008-2018
- Total & per capita consumption
- Of cigarillos, 2008-2018
- Of cigars, 2007-2017
- Cigar & cigarillo sales by pack size, 2010
- Production and trade
- Production of cigars & cigarillos, 2005-2014
- Belgium: imports of cigars & cigarillos, tons, 2007-2017
- Belgium: imports by country of origin, top countries, volume, million of pieces, %, 2017
- Belgium: imports by country of origin, million of pieces and value (€ 000) , 2007-2017
- Luxembourg: imports by country of Origin, top countries, volume, ‘000 of pieces, %, 2017
- Luxembourg: cigar imports by country of origin, '000 pieces, and value (€ 000), 2007-2017
- Belgium: exports by country of destination, top countries, volume, million pieces, %, 2017
- Belgium: exports of cigars & cigarillos, million pieces and value € 000, 2007-2017
- Taxation and retail prices
- Taxation rates on cigars & cigarillos, Belgium, 1980-2018
- EU: cigars & cigarillos, tax incidence comparison, 2018
- Agio: retail price list Luxembourg, 2018
- Agio: retail price list Belgium, 2018
- Agio: Balmoral Sumatra selection - retail price list 2018
- Manufacturers and brands
- Benelux: manufacturer shares, 2014-2017
- Cigars & cigarillos: manufacturer shares (Belgium), % volume share, 2010-2017
- Manufacturer /distributor shares for cigarillos and cigars (Belgium), % volume, 2011-2017
- Cigars & cigarillos: manufacturer shares (Luxembourg), % volume, 2013-2017
- Cigarillos: manufacturer shares, Luxembourg, % volume, 2012-2017
- Cigars: manufacturer shares, Luxembourg, % volume, 2013-2017
- The smoking population
- Adult smoking prevalence, total and by gender, %, 2007-2017
- Smoking population by age, daily & occasional, (%) 2005, 2008 & 2011
- Belgium: smoking population usership by age group, %, 2015
- Tobacco use by product and age group, %, 2015
- Tobacco use by product and gender, %, 2015
- Luxembourg: current smokers by sex and age group, %, 2015
- Operating constraints
- Advertising restrictions
- Labeling requirements
- Other restrictions
- Retail structure
- Prospects and forecasts
- Cigars & cigarillos consumption, million pieces, 2018-2028
- Per capita consumption, pieces per year, 2018-2028