Cigarettes in North Korea, 2018
Cigarettes in North Korea, 2018, is an analytical report by GlobalData which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the North Korean market.
North Korea, officially known as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, was created in 1948 and following the Korean War it existed as one of the former USSR's key satellite states in Asia. Demand for cigarettes has until recently been in decline with this, no doubt a reflection of poor economic performance as well as government efforts to reduce the incidence of tobacco use. Latest estimates by GlobalData suggest a reversal in performance for 2016 with sales down, with a further fall to forecast for 2017.
What else does this report offer?
- Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis and our in-house expertise.
- Detailed information such as market shares and recent developments of the manufacturers, leading brands along with company profiles.
- Regulations, taxation, retail pricing, smoking habit and the growing health concerns affecting overall production.
- Prospects and forecasts of overall sales and consumption for 2017 to 2027.
Reasons to buy
- Sluggish production volumes and an absence of legal imports following their ban in November 2014 are both set to hamper sales.
- On the basis of market estimates and population data, legitimate per capita consumption rates are estimated at 0.5% above 1990 levels in 2016.
- Based on the limited available information, and assuming there are at least some female smokers that might record a prevalence of around 0.5%.
- With recently imposed restrictions, duty paid sales are expected to stagnate, growing at a slow rate between 2017 and 2027, and possible even falling back.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- As consumers’ product demands evolve, the dynamics between different countries also change - favoring some countries and leaving others increasingly out of line with demand patterns. As a result, understanding the specific market dynamics of the North Korean market is crucial to ensuring maximum future sales.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market. This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes -prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
- 1. Overview
- 2. Market Size
- 3. Market Structure
- 4. Manufacturers & Brands
- 5. Taxation & Retail Prices
- 5.1. Taxation
- 5.2. Retail Prices
- 6. The Smoking Population
- 7. Production & Trade
- 7.1. Production
- 7.2. Imports
- 7.3. Exports
- 8. Operating Constraints
- 8.1. Advertising Restrictions
- 8.2. Health Warnings
- 8.3. Other Restrictions
- 9. Company Profiles
- 10. Prospects & Forecasts
- 11. Appendix
- 11.1. What is this Report About?
- 11.2. Time Frame
- 11.3. Product Category Coverage
- 11.4. Methodology
- 11.5. About GlobalData
- 11.6. Disclaimer
- 11.7. Contact Us
- List of Tables
- Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2017
- Table 2: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2017
- Table 3: Market Breakdown: Domestic v Imported, 2000-2016, % of Total
- Table 4: Market Breakdown: Plain v Filter, 1998-2010, % of Total
- Table 5: Manufacturer Sales & Market Share, 2000-2016, Million Pieces
- Table 6: Manufacturer Sales & Market Share, 2000-2016, % of Total
- Table 7: Average Pack Price (US Cents), 2001-2007
- Table 8: North Korea Cigarette Prices (2017) - Local Brands
- Table 9: North Korea Cigarette Prices (2017) - Imported Brands
- Table 10: Smoking Population, 1990-2016
- Table 11: Smoking Incidence by Gender, Age & Location, 2012, % of Total
- Table 12: Production of Cigarettes, 1990-2016, Million Pieces
- Table 13: Cigarette Imports, Million Pieces, 1990-2016
- Table 14: Imports to North Korea from Major Supplying Countries, 2006-2016, Million Pieces
- Table 15: Company profile: North Korean General Tobacco Corporation
- Table 16: Company profile: SUTL(1)
- Table 17: Consumption Forecasts to 2027
- List of Figures
- Figure 1: Methodology
- Figure 2: Global Data at a glance