Cigarettes in Ethiopia, 2018
Cigarettes in Ethiopia, 2018, is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in Ethiopia.
Smoking has traditionally been widespread, despite tax increases driving up prices, and increased restrictions on public smoking, the smoking prevalence rate has continue to rise, smoker numbers has increased each year where a upward shift has occurred. There are currently 2.42 million adults smoking regularly or occasionally, with 8.9% of adult male and 0.5% female smokers in 2017, or 4.6% of the adult population. The smoking prevalence has been incresing in recent years. In per capita terms, legitimate consumption now averages around 63 pieces in 2017, compared with 32 pieces in 2000 and 48 pieces in 1990.
What else does this report offer?
- Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis and our in-house expertise.
- Detailed information such as market shares and recent developments of the manufacturers, leading brands along with company profiles.
- Regulations, taxation, retail pricing, smoking habit and the growing health concerns affecting overall production.
- Prospects and forecasts of overall sales and consumption for 2017 to 2027.
Reasons to buy
- Market volume in 2017 was 7.8 billion pieces
- In per capita terms, Ethiopian consumers consumed an average of 63 cigarettes in 2017.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- As consumers’ product demands evolve, the dynamics between different countries also change - favoring some countries and leaving others increasingly out of line with demand patterns. As a result, understanding the specific market dynamics of the country's market is crucial to ensuring maximum future sales.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market. This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes -prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
- 1. Overview
- 2. Market Size
- 3. Market Structure
- 4. Manufacturers & Brands
- 5. Taxation & Retail
- 5.1. Taxation
- 5.2. Retail Prices
- 6. The Smoking Population
- 7. Production & Trade
- 7.1. Production
- 7.2. Imports
- 7.3. Exports
- 8. Operating constraints
- 8.1. Advertising Restrictions
- 8.2. Health Warnings
- 8.3. Government Restrictions
- 9. Company Profiles
- 9.1. National Tobacco Enterprise (Ethiopia) Share Company
- 10. Prospects & Forecasts
- 11. Appendix
- 11.1. What is this Report About?
- 11.2. Time Frame
- 11.3. Product Category Coverage
- 11.4. Methodology
- 11.5. About GlobalData
- 11.6. Disclaimer
- 11.7. Contact Us
- List of Tables
- Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2017
- Table 2: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2017
- Table 3: Market Segmentation: Filter v Plain Cigarettes, 2006-2016, Million Pieces
- Table 4: Market Segmentation: Filter v Plain Cigarettes, 2006-2016, %
- Table 5: Manufacturer Sales & Market Share, 2000-2017, Million Pieces
- Table 6: Manufacturer Sales & Market Share, %, 2000-2017
- Table 7: Cigarette Brand Shares, 2013
- Table 8: Cigarette & Tobacco Inflation, region, 2008-2009(1)
- Table 9: Cigarette Prices (Addis Ababa), brand, July 2012
- Table 10: Cigarette Prices, 2008-2012, brand, Birr/Pack
- Table 11: Smoking Population, 1990-2017
- Table 12: Tobacco Use by Age, Men, 2011, %
- Table 13: Tobacco use (smoked/smokeless) amongst adults 15+ by gender, Ethiopia, %
- Table 14: Cigarette Production, 1990-2016, million pieces
- Table 15: Cigarette Production by Brand, volume %, 2013
- Table 16: Cigarette Imports, 1990-2016, Million pieces
- Table 17: Cigarette Imports by Country of Origin, Million pieces, 2006-2016
- Table 18: National Tobacco Enterprise (Ethiopia) Share Company
- Table 19: Consumption Forecasts, Million pieces, 2017-2027
- List of Figures
- Figure 1: Methodology
- Figure 2: GlobalData at a glance