Cigarettes in Costa Rica, 2017
Costa Rica is a relatively small market for cigarettes with legitimate sales of 1.6 Billion pieces in 2016, which is 23.8% down its levels in 1990. In per capita terms, consumption is moderate to low at 329 pieces per person in 2016 with per capita sales having fallen since 1990. There is a growing non-duty paid market, which amounts to a further 0.35 Billion pieces, bringing total annual sales to approximately two Billion pieces.
Within the legitimate market, American blends have been gaining share at the expense of local and regional blends, and are now believed to account for 48% of sales. Longer cigarettes, falling into the king size category and beyond, have also been increasing their share and now dominate the market. Full flavored cigarettes remain the largest sector, although their share has been falling as mild and light variants of the leading brands have become more established. The leading players all carry menthol lines. Hard packs remain the format preferred by most consumers and now account for the larger majority of sales.
Exports were quite low in 2016 with negligible levels; in 2008 and 2009 they were negligible, although 91 million pieces were exported in 2012. Volumes surged to 1,891 million pieces in 2013 following the closure of PMI's Guatemalan factory and stood at 1,561 million pieces in 2014 before dropping back to 923 million pieces in 2016. Guatemala (43.3%), El Salvador (25.0%), Nicaragua (14.4%), and Panama (14.4%) are the key export markets in 2016.
Market is dominated by two companies, both linked to leading multinationals. Tabacalera Costarricense is the traditional market leader with an increased 57.5% in 2016. It distributes Derby, Lider, and Marlboro. BAT Central America (BATCA) follows in second position with 42.5% of sales in 2016. It distributes a number of brands including brand leader Delta as well as Belmont, Kent, and Viceroy.
The report Cigarettes in Costa Rica, 2017 provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the market. The report offers market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis, and our in-house expertise.
Companies mentioned in this report: Philip Morris International (PMI),Tabacalera Costarricense (TC), British America Tobacco Central America (BATCA).
Reasons to buy
- Legitimate sales stands ar 1.6 billion pieces in 2016, which is 23.8% down its levels in 1990. In per capita terms, consumption is moderate to low at 329 pieces in 2016.
- The market is dominated by two companies, both linked to leading multinationals.
- Tabacalera Costarricense, linked to PMI, is the traditional market leader with an increased 57.5% in 2016.
- BAT Centra America (BATCA) follows in second position with 42.5% of sales in 2016.
- Volumes in 2026 will still be down 1.6% on 2016 at 1,575 million pieces.
- Per capita consumption over the coming decade is predicted to drop by 10.9% to 293 pieces in 2026.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
- 1. Overview
- 2. Market Size
- 3. Market Structure
- 4. Manufacturers & Brands
- 5. Taxation & Retail Prices
- 5.1. Taxation
- 5.2. Retail Prices
- 6. The Smoking Population
- 7. Production & Trade
- 7.1. Production
- 7.2. Imports
- 7.3. Exports
- 8. Operating constraints
- 8.1. Advertising Restrictions
- 8.2. Health Warnings
- 8.3. Other Restrictions
- 9. Company Profiles
- 10. Prospects & Forecasts
- 11. Appendix
- 11.1. What is this Report About?
- 11.2. Time Frame
- 11.3. Product Category Coverage
- 11.4. Methodology
- 11.5. About GlobalData
- 11.6. Disclaimer
- 11.7. Contact Us
- List of Tables
- Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2016
- Table 2: Duty Paid v Non-Duty Paid Sales, 2011-2016, Million Pieces
- Table 3: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2016
- Table 4: Market Segmentation by Blend, 2000-2012, Million Pieces
- Table 5: Market Segmentation by Blend, 2000-2012, % (Percentage Share)
- Table 6: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, 2000-2016, Million Pieces
- Table 7: Manufacturer Market Shares, 2000-2016, % Percentage of share
- Table 8: Summary of Cigarette Taxes, 2017
- Table 9: Index of Cigarette Prices, July 2006 - September 2014
- Table 10: Smoking Population, 1990-2016
- Table 11: Cigarette Production, 1990-2015
- Table 12: Cigarette Imports, 1990-2016
- Table 13: Imports by Country of Origin, 2000-2016, Million Pieces
- Table 14: Imports by Country of Origin, Volume, 2000-2016, % Breakdown
- Table 15: Cigarette Exports, 2007-2016
- Table 16: Cigarette Exports by Country of Destination, 2011-2016, Million Pieces
- Table 17: Cigarette Exports by Country of Destination, 2011-2016, % of Percentage Share
- Table 18: Company profile: Tabacalera Costarricense SA
- Table 19: Company profile: British American Tobacco Central America
- Table 20: Consumption Forecasts, 2016-2026
- List of Figures
- Figure 1: Methodology
- Figure 2: GlobalData at a glance