Central African Republic: Country Intelligence Report
Central African Republic’s (CAR) population of 5.1m as of 2017 makes it the 46th most-populated country in the Africa & Middle East (AME) region. GlobalData expects the country’s population to grow at a CAGR of 2.0% over the 2017-2022 period, to reach 5.6m by year-end 2022.
CAR’s nominal GDP value reached about US$2bn in 2017, which is the 58th-largest value for a country in the AME region. GlobalData expects the country’s nominal GDP to increase at a CAGR of over 11% over the period 2017-2022 to reach about $3.4bn by the end of 2022.CAR’s purchasing power parity (PPP)-adjusted GDP per capita reached $672 in 2017, one of the lowest values for a country in the AME region. However, CAR’s PPP-adjusted per capita will grow to reach just over $900 by 2022 at a CAGR of 6.1% over 2017-2022.CAR’s real GDP growth is expected to increase from 4.7% in 2017 to 5.6% in 2022. Ongoing security issues affecting the agricultural sector and foreign investments will remain key challenges. However, the rise in diamond exports and a recovery in the services sector will help support economic growth over the medium term.
Disruption in agricultural production and supply infrastructure due to security issues will weigh upon consumer prices to an extent in 2018. Tighter monetary policy and improved security on major trade routes, however, will reduce inflation rates from 3.8% in 2017 to an average 3.3% over 2018-2019.
The report Central African Republic: Country Intelligence Report, provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Central African Republic today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. Published annually, the report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband and mobile segments, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
The report provides in-depth analysis of the following -
Key findings included in the report -
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in Central African Republic.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom services market outlook: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice and mobile data markets.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications market.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Total telecom service revenue in CAR reached over $62m in 2017, an increase of 11.2% from 2016. GlobalData expects total service revenue to grow at a CAGR of 12.6% over 2017-2022, to reach about $113m by the end of 2022. This is primarily driven by increasing usage of mobile voice services and projected growth in mobile data services.
- Mobile voice services will remain the largest revenue contributor to the total telecom service market over the forecast period with its revenue set to expand from $51.2m in 2016 to $75.7m by 2022. This will driven by increasing mobile population coverage since a large portion of the population relies on basic voice communications due to the relatively underdeveloped mobile broadband network in CAR.
- Revenue from mobile data services will be the fastest-growing segment with a CAGR of 31.0% during 2017-2022, driven by growing adoption of 3G services backed by growing smartphone ownership and ongoing 3G network expansions by operators.
- Fixed broadband revenue will grow at a 12.5% CAGR during 2017-2022 to reach $1.8m by 2022, supported by improving availability of broadband services due to the deployment of the 1,000km national fiber backbone network over 2018-2021.
Telecel CAR, Orange CAR, Moov CAR, Azur CARScope
Reasons to buy
- Overall telecom service revenue in Central African Republic is estimated to reach $113.2m in 2022, at a CAGR of 12.6%, driven by growth in mobile voice and mobile data revenue.
- Mobile revenue will account for 97.9% of total telecom revenue in 2022.
- 2G will remain the most used mobile technology through 2020. 3G will surpass 2G in 2021 and go on to account for 58.4% of total subscriptions by year-end 2022, driven by rising adoption of 3G services.
- The top two mobile operators, Telecel CAR and Orange CAR, accounted for 81.5% of total service revenue in 2017. Telecel CAR will continue to maintain its leadership position in the mobile market through 2022. Operators will continue their focus on 2G/3G network expansion, offering segmented bundled packages and rolling out VAS such as mobile money services to drive revenue.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Central African Republic’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying GlobalData’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Central African Republic’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Central African Republic’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Central African Republic.
- Market highlights
- Demographic, macroeconomic and regulatory context
- Demographic and macroeconomic context
- Regulatory context
- Telecom and pay-TV services market outlook
- Total telecom service revenue
- Mobile services market
- Fixed services market
- Competitive landscape and company snapshots
- Competitive landscape
- Telecel CAR
- Orange CAR
- Moov CAR
- Azur CAR
- Additional resources
- Baseline forecast assumptions
- Data tables
- Research methodology
- About the authors
- Country Intelligence Report coverage
- About GlobalData