The Cards and Payments Industry in Romania: Emerging Trends and Opportunities to 2021
GlobalData’s The Cards and Payments Industry in Romania: Emerging Trends and Opportunities to 2021 report provides top-level market analysis, information and insights into the Romanian cards and payments industry, including -
- Current and forecast values for each market in the Romanian cards and payments industry, including debit, credit and charge cards.
- Detailed insights into payment instruments including credit transfers, direct debits, cash transactions, checks and payment cards. It also, includes an overview of the country's key alternative payment instruments.
- E-commerce market analysis.
- Analysis of various market drivers and regulations governing the Romanian cards and payments industry.
- Detailed analysis of strategies adopted by banks and other institutions to market debit, credit and charge cards.
- Comprehensive analysis of consumer attitudes and buying preferences for cards.
- The competitive landscape in the Romanian cards and payments industry.
This report provides detailed analysis of market trends in the Romanian cards and payments industry. It provides values and volumes for a number of key performance indicators in the industry, including credit transfers, direct debits, check payments, payment cards and cash transactions during the review period (2012-2016).
The report also analyzes various payment card markets operating in the industry, and provides detailed information on the number of cards in circulation, and transaction values and volumes during the review period and over the forecast period (2017-2021). It also offers information on the country's competitive landscape, including the market shares of issuers and schemes.
The report brings together GlobalData’s research, modeling, and analysis expertise to allow banks and card issuers to identify segment dynamics and competitive advantages. The report also covers details of regulatory policy and recent changes in the regulatory structure.
To reduce society’s dependence on cash and restrict tax evasion, the National Bank of Romania (NBR) introduced a US$1248.2 (RON5,000) per day cap on cash transactions for individuals, and US$2,496.5 (RON10,000) per day cap for companies in March 2015. The limit placed on cash transactions encouraged the use of electronic payments.
Alternative payments are slowly emerging in Romania with banks, PSPs and telecom companies launching new solutions. Vodafone launched its person-to-person (P2P) solution, M-pesa in March 2014. Similarly, Seamless launched Seqr in partnership with Garanti Bank in 2013. To expand its market presence, it partnered with Raiffeisen Bank to provide banks customer with its m-payment solution in June 2016.
The eurozone crisis had a profound effect on the Romanian banking sector, and led to a period of consolidation. In April 2015, Banca Transilvania’s (BT) acquired the Romanian unit of Volksbanken AG. In 2013, UniCredit Tiriac Bank acquired Royal Bank of Scotland Romania’s retail portfolio and Raiffeisen Romania acquired Citibank Romania’s retail portfolio. This is likely to lead to concentration in both the card-issuing and merchant-acquiring businesses.Scope
Reasons to buy
- This report provides a comprehensive analysis of the Romanian cards and payments industry.
- It provides current values for the Romanian cards and payments industry for 2016, and forecast figures to 2021.
- It details the different demographic, economic, infrastructural and business drivers affecting the Romanian cards and payments industry.
- It outlines the current regulatory framework in the industry.
- It details marketing strategies used by various banks and other institutions.
- Make strategic business decisions, using top-level historic and forecast market data, related to the Romanian cards and payments industry and each market within it.
- Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities in the Romanian cards and payments industry.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in the Romanian cards and payments industry.
- Gain insights into marketing strategies used for various card types in Romania.
- Gain insights into key regulations governing the Romanian cards and payments industry.