What Britain Wears: Swim & Beachwear
With over half of consumers purchasing swim & beachwear for every holiday they take, the popularity of this category proves to be resilient. The appeal of festivals has also helped widen the range of occasions in which swim & beachwear is worn, with cover-ups increasingly being worn on muddy fields as festival chic.
Over a quarter of clothing shoppers purchased swim & beachwear, driven by female shoppers. Product overlap was particularly high in areas such as tankinis, with almost three quarters of those purchasing a tankini also buying a cover-up. With tankinis proving to be popular among middle-aged shoppers and mums, the potential to sell add on items such as kaftans and sarongs is higher among this age group with these consumers more body conscious and wanting versatile items for beach-to-dine.
The What Britain Wears: Swim & Beachwear capsule report offer?
It provides in-depth analysis of the following -
- Strategies for success
- Product, retailer and consumer headlines
- In-depth product analysis
- Retailer usage and key drivers
- Channel location, by gender
- Consumer attitudes to swim & beachwear
Reasons to buy
- On average men spend more per swimwear item than women, due to the heavier influence of brands, with the 34-45s spending the most. The desire for long lasting, good quality swimwear among males reduces volumes and shopper frequency, but ensures higher transaction values.
- The popularity of sporty styles has been strong in 2016, with ranges from Calvin Klein, Seafolly and Misguided all placing their own individual take on the trend. Noticeable by its high necklines and bold colours, this trend is expected to transcend into 2017, as the continued focus on healthy lifestyles continues to shape both fashion and lifestyle choices.
- Retailer competition for swim & beachwear is rife, with value retailers Primark, H&M, and Tesco at one end, and quality and brand driven retailers M&S, ASOS and Debenhams at the other. This polarisation is caused by the different purchase drivers across shoppers.
- Over two-fifths of swim & beachwear shoppers purchased a cover-up in the past 12 months. Therefore it is important that retailers design cover-up collections alongside swimwear and their core clothing offer to ensure key seasonal trends are translated.
- Learn from the best and worst retailers for instore visual merchandising, online propositions and trend incorporation by using our product and retailer analysis, and apply this knowledge to your own business.
- Using our comprehensive consumer analysis, understand the different needs and expectations of various ages groups and genders when shopping for swim & beachwear and use this to create a multi-faceted marketing strategy for the category.
- Use our consumer data on what clothing sizes both women and men bought in swim & beachwear to help with more precise and accurate investment when sourcing and buying this category.
- Strategies for Success
- PRODUCT ANALYSIS
- Product Headlines
- Purchase drivers: overall
- Purchase drivers: by gender
- Sizes for swim & beachwear products - by gender
- Swim & beachwear trends
- Swimwear & beachwear trends
- RETAILER DEVELOPMENTS
- Retailer Headlines
- Retailer usage - top 10
- Retailer usage - top 10 by gender
- What's driving store choice? Top 10 drivers
- What's driving store choice? Top 10 retailers
- Table The main factors affecting shopping choices at the most used retailers
- What's driving online choice? Overall drivers
- Online purchase drivers: by gender
- Instore merchandising
- Online merchandising
- Competitor overlap
- Table How competitive is the swim & beachwear market?
- CONSUMER DATA
- Consumer Headlines
- Who's buying?
- Who's buying what?
- Table Penetration of swim & beachwear by product type
- Product overlap: swim & beachwear
- Table How the penetration of swim & beachwear products overlap
- What's being bought online?
- How often are consumers shopping?
- Where are people shopping?
- Physical channels: by age
- Who's Buying Where?
- Table Channel usage by social demographic
- Store destination: by gender
- Store destination: by age
- Opinions about swim & beachwear
- TECHNICAL DETAILS