Black Friday in United Kingdom (UK) 2020 - Consumer Dynamics and Spending Habits
Black Friday in United Kingdom (UK) 2020 report forms part of GlobalData's Retail Occasions series, and offers a comprehensive insight into the consumer dynamics and spending habits of UK consumers for Black Friday. The report analyses the market, the major players, the main trends, and consumer attitudes.
Reasons to Buy
- The Black Friday market declined this year as fewer consumers decided to shop and the consumers who did engage with the Black Friday promotional events, spent less during the promotional window. The decline in Black Friday’s typical explosiveness could be attributed to retailers heavy discounting throughout 2020.
- Christmas spend was brought forward this year, with a significant percentage of consumers shopping their Christmas gifts during the Black Friday promotional period. The extension of the Black Friday promotional window coupled with fears of depleted stock, led to a significant percentage of shoppers purchasing items earlier than 27 November.
- Stores classified as essential experienced a great advantage over non-essential retail stores, due to mass lockdowns imposed throughout most of the UK. Tesco made a big impact this year, where it was very popular amongst consumers across several categories.
- The demand for health and beauty products grew this year and a significant proportion of shoppers purchased products within this category on Black Friday. Average health and beauty spend grew considerably and the influence of online pureplays grew stronger as a result of the lockdown measures forcing retailers to close their stores.
- Use our in-depth consumer insight to discover what consumers are purchasing during the Black Friday period and whether shoppers are waiting to the official day to make purchases in case of further discounting later during the period.
- Understand who consumers are purchasing for and how much they are spending so marketing can be geared to the right audience.
- Examine the reasons why consumers are going to certain retailers for particular products to ascertain where retailers can steal share and maximise sales potential.
- Key findings
- The key findings
- Trend insight - stores
- Trend insight - online
- Trend insight - anti Black Friday
- Consumer attitudes
- Clothing & footwear
- Health & beauty
- Entertainment & leisure
- Homewares, furniture & DIY
- Speciality food & drink
- Miscellaneous products
- Methodology & contacts
- Technical details: Consumer survey work