Bedroom Textiles, 2017
Bedroom Textiles, 2017
Bedroom textiles market of United Kingdom is estimated to be worth £1,617.4m in 2017. Over the next five years, the size of the bedroom textiles market is expected to increase by 14.5%. Growth in the sector is largely driven by consumers wanting a new looks along with the factor of replacing items, particularly sheets, pillows and duvets.
The fastest growing category in the market is sheets, owing to the essential nature of the item. The projected growth rate of this category is 15.3% from 2017-2022. The dampened housing market in 2017 will not affect the bedroom textiles market markedly given that the highest proportion of purchases are to replace old or worn items. However, the bedroom textiles market will see a lift in volume growth as housing transactions increase through 2018.
Dunelm retains its position as market leader. Dunelm maintains a dominant position as the UK’s biggest bedroom textiles retailer. However, with John Lewis performing strongly and Argos to benefit from its tie-in with Sainsbury’s, the retailer will have to work hard to sustain its position.
Purchasing items for a new look was one of the highest determining factor for overall bedroom textiles (58.1% of consumers), after replacement driven purchases (80.2%). Buying for a new look was most prevalent within covers (54.1%), blankets (32.3%) and bedroom accessories (45.3%). This is driven by bedroom textiles trends, where changing covers is seen as an inexpensive and easy way to refresh a bedroom’s look and feel.
As an opportunity, Retailers can increase sales by marketing the health” importance of purchasing bedroom textiles for the purpose of replacement. Old and/or dirty bedding could be causing insomnia, snoring, neck pain, skin problems and even allergic reactions from a buildup of dust mites, so campaigns should educate shoppers on how often they should replace bedroom textiles, and the health and hygiene benefits of doing so.
Furthermore, with 77.1% of shoppers stating that their bedroom is a place of relaxation and 37.1% agreeing that they never seem to get a good night’s sleep, retailers have the potential to increase sales with effective marketing. Campaigns should highlight the importance of sleep and show how the purchase of new bedding can improve comfort and quality of sleep, and therefore energy levels, and may lead to a happier and healthier life.
The report Bedroom Textiles, 2017” is a comprehensive insight and analysis of the UK market, the major players, the main trends, and consumer attitudes and provides forecasts to 2022.
Moreover, this report provides the following -
- Analysis of the key strategies for success in this market, as well as the most important market issues.
- Detailed data on the size of the market, the key drivers, and how spend is distributed.
- Profiles of the major players, and analysis of the key trends driving the market.
- Insight on who’s consuming, what they are buying, where they are buying, and what makes consumers purchase.
Companies mentioned in this report: Argos, ASDA, Dunelm, IKEA, John Lewis, Next, Marks & Spencer, Primark, Zara Home, Shop Direct, The White CompanyScope
Reasons to buy
- Department stores, such as John Lewis and Marks & Spencer, homewares specialists such as Dunelm and grocers such as ASDA have a high share of the bedroom textiles market.
- However, all three of these groups of retailers are coming under threat from retailer categories with high share growth such as general merchandisers and clothing specialists.
- Argos has grown its share of the market with a strong multichannel strategy and the opening of concession stores in Sainsbury's supermarkets, increasing its reach. Clothing specialists including Zara, Primark and Next's investment in home retail have been influential in driving sales of affordable fashion and trend-led textiles, something that will continue as retailers expand accessibility of their home offers. H&M recently announced it is to open standalone Home stores.
- Duvet covers and bedroom accessories have particularly benefitted from the rise of fashion players, as these may offer cheaper ways of
- updating the look of a bedroom as oppoosed to purchasing more expensive items such as furniture and floorcoverings.
- 80.2% shoppers bought bedroom textiles for the purpose of replacement. Retailers can increase sales of bedroom textiles by educating shoppers on the health and hygiene benefits of replacing textiles such as pillows and duvets every few years. Marketing the importance of a good quality night's sleep can encourage shoppers to trade-up to more premium and higher value items.
- Utilise our five-year market size and growth forecasts to 2022 for the total market, individual sub-categories, online penetration and channels of distribution to enable targeted investment in high performing areas.
- Identify the major retailers in the bedroom textiles market, market shares 2013-2017 and future performance prospects.
- Utilise our in-depth analysis of how and why each retailer is performing as it is in the market to allow for benchmarking and provide a strategic advantage.
- Recognise which consumers to target and how to drive spend from them by utilising our shopper penetration data and understanding what influences their retailer selection and spending motivations.
- Understand how the online channel will impact upon bedroom textiles by using our online penetration and expenditure forecasts and analysis on channels and online fulfilment.
- OVERALL SUMMARY
- Issues and Strategies
- STRATEGIES FOR SUCCESS
- KEY ISSUES
- The Market
- MARKET SIZE & GROWTH - TOTAL MARKET
- MARKET SIZE & GROWTH - PILLOWS & DUVETS
- MARKET SIZE & GROWTH - BLANKETS
- MARKET SIZE & GROWTH - COVERS
- MARKET SIZE & GROWTH - SHEETS
- MARKET SIZE & GROWTH - BEDROOM ACCESSORIES
- CATEGORY GROWTH & SIZE: 2017-2019
- Table CATEGORY GROWTH & SIZE: 2017-2019
- ONLINE SALES PENETRATION
- CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION
- Table CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION
- The Retailers
- RETAILER SHARES
- RETAILERS PROSPECTS
- KEY COMPARATIVES
- Table Table of Key Comparisons
- JOHN LEWIS
- OTHER RETAILERS
- The Consumer
- Table PENETRATION AND PROFILES OVERALL BEDROOM TEXTILES
- Table AVERAGE SPEND BY PRODUCT SUBCATEGORY BEDROOM TEXTILES
- Table DETAILED AVERAGE SPEND BY PRODUCT BEDROOM TEXTILES
- Table THE ROOMS HAVE ITEMS BEEN BOUGHT FOR BEDROOM TEXTILES
- Table BUYING TRENDS DUVETS AND PILLOWS
- Table AWARENESS OF PRODUCTS PILLOWS AND DUVETS
- Table RETAILER USAGE BEDROOM TEXTILES
- Table RETAILER USAGE BEDROOM TEXTILES
- Table CONVERSION RATES ALL CONSUMERS
- Table DRIVERS OF STORE CHOICE: BY RETAILER OVERALL BEDROOM TEXTILES
- Table CHANNEL USAGE OVERALL BEDROOM TEXTILES
- Further Details