Banking Competitor Profile: Santander
Santander is a leading UK provider, and has achieved notable success in recent years with its 123 Current Account, which has attracted substantial numbers of new customers. It also recently acquired a specialist provider of motor finance, which has boosted its market share in lending. Although Santander’s costs relative to income are in line with those of other banks, price competition has hit its net interest margins, and consequently its return on assets.
This report benchmarks Santander’s performance across current accounts, savings accounts, mortgages, and personal loans against the market.
The report offers insight into -
- How Santander’s customers choose and apply for their key financial products, and how their behavior differs from customers of other banks .
- The extent to which Santander’s customers will recommend their bank, how satisfied they are with service, and how loyal they are relative to other consumers.
- How Santander is faring in terms of market share across the main product areas.
Reasons to buy
- Santander has seen a substantial increase in retail deposits, fueled by high interest rates on its 123 account. Savers chose the bank due to its interest rates and having an existing relationship. Online onboarding is now as popular as in-branch application, but still lags behind the rest of the market.
- Santander’s share with respect to mortgage balances outstanding has gradually fallen over the analysis period, and balances are lower in absolute terms than at the start of the period. Santander is the only mortgage provider to have a negative NPS, but it is introducing video and chatbot servicing.
- Around one in four customers use online banking every day, more than the market average. However, mobile use is slightly below average. User satisfaction is high across all channels, and Santander has introduced NeoCRM, an advanced omnichannel customer management system.
- Gain insight into how Santander acquires new customers in comparison to other providers.
- Build your understanding of how favorably Santander’s customers view their bank and how likely they are to switch.
- Understand how well Santander is performing financially compared to the market.
- Executive Summary
- Current Accounts
- Savings Accounts
- Personal Loans
- Channel Use
- Financial Performance