Global Cancer Supportive Care Therapeutics Market to 2022 - Patent Expirations Create Opportunities for Biosimilars in the Chemotherapy Induced Anemia and Neutropenia Markets
Cancer is a disease characterized by abnormal cell growth and uncontrolled proliferation caused by a series of mutations that result in the formation of tumor, which can migrate around the body, in a process known as metastasis. There are more than 200 different types of cancers, which can have a range of different effects on the human body. However, most patients who die from cancer do so when their primary cancer metastasizes to another part of the body (NHS, 2016).
The cancer supportive care therapy area comprises indications that are either a symptom of the patient’s cancer, or a side effect of the treatment a patient receives to treat their cancer - primarily chemotherapy or radiotherapy. The six key indications analyzed in this report are chemotherapy-induced neutropenia (CIN), chemotherapy-induced anemia (CIA), chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV), cancer pain, bone metastasis and oral mucositis.
The global cancer supportive care market is forecast to experience a low level of growth, with revenue increasing from USD11.7 Billion in 2015 to USD12.4 Billion in 2022 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 1.08%.
The cancer supportive care therapy area has a very small pipeline, which contains only 245 products, 51% of which are at the Preclinical stage, and only 40% of which are in clinical development. Small molecules make up the majority of the pipeline (62%), while proteins are the second most prominent (12%).
According to Ross Wilkinson, GBI Research, explains: “Generics will be responsible for the market’s growth globally, as they will open up opportunities in low and middle income countries due to their lower prices. Amgen is currently market leader and will remain so over the forecast period.
Amgen markets five products in the therapy area, which includes Neulasta, Aranesp and Neupogen. Following the expiration of their patents Amgen will retain its position as the market leader, but will see annual revenue from the therapy area fall by USD2 Billion during the forecast period. In line with this lost revenue, Amgen’s market share will decrease from 72% in 2015 to 52% in 2022.
Over the forecast period six companies will begin generating revenue from the cancer supportive care therapy area, two of which are top 20 pharmaceutical companies. However, the most successful new entrant will be the small public company Heron Therapeutics, which will market two products in the therapy area - Cinvanti and Sustol. These are forecast to generate USD206m and USD429m respectively in 2022, and Heron’s share of the market is forecast to reach 7% by the end of the forecast period.
The report “Global Cancer Supportive Care Therapeutics Market to 2022 - Patent Expirations Create Opportunities for Biosimilars in the Chemotherapy Induced Anemia and Neutropenia Markets” provides an introduction to key indications within cancer supportive care, including disease epidemiology, symptoms, pathophysiology, diagnosis and disease staging and prognosis.
In particular, this report provides the following -
- Provides an overview of the marketed products landscape, including product profiles of key marketed products and revenue projections for each of these drugs.
- Analyzes the cancer supportive care pipeline, detailing - among other parameters - drug distribution by stage of development, molecule type and molecular target, plus an analysis of the key indications in the pipeline: CIN, CIA, CINV, cancer pain, bone metastasis and oral mucositis.
- Presents forecast projections to 2022 on a global level, with forecasts provided for the US, plus aggregate revenue forecasts of the top five EU markets (the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain) and Japan. Additionally, revenue forecasts for the major product categories and key players are provided.
- Assesses the company landscape, with an analysis of the key players, the types of company involved in this therapy area, and whether this therapy area comprises a large proportion of each company’s pipeline portfolio and total revenues.
- Analyzes trends in co-development and licensing deals, relating to cancer supportive care products.
Companies mentioned in this report: Amgen, Bayer, Heron, INSYS, Kyowa Hakko Kirin, Daiichi Sankyo, Spectrum, Depomed, Johnson & Johnson, Eisai, Ono , Teva, Eli Lilly, Tesaro, Otsuka, Roche, Pfizer, Merck & Co., Shionogi, Orion, GW Pharmaceuticals, Almirall.Scope
The cancer supportive care market already contains some commercially successful products.
- Which classes of drug dominate the market?
- Which indication is the most commercially successful?
- How will commercially successful drugs perform over the forecast period?
The cancer supportive care pipeline is relatively small, but there is significant diversity in terms of molecule types and targets.
- Which molecular targets appear most frequently in the pipeline?
- What are the commercial prospects for the most promising late-stage pipeline products?
The cancer supportive care market is forecast to grow from $11.7 billion in 2015 to $12.4 billion in 2022, at a compound annual growth rate of 0.9%.
- Which products are forecast to drive growth?
- Will generic and biosimilar competition have a significant impact on the market over the forecast period?
The company landscape is becoming increasingly competitive.
Reasons to buy
- What are the leading companies in terms of market share?
- Which companies are forecast to experience the greatest growth in market share?
- What are the drivers of growth for key companies in the market?
- How dependent are the key companies on this disease cluster for revenue?
This report will allow you to -
- Understand the current clinical and commercial landscape through a comprehensive study of disease pathogenesis, symptoms, diagnosis and prognosis for the key indications covered in the report
- Understand the current treatment landscape, with profiles of key marketed products and a focus on historical and forecast sales patterns, and an overview of each drug’s mechanism of action.
- Identify the key pipeline products, with a particular focus on those due to be brought to market in the near future, as well as sales forecasts for these products.
- Predict growth in market size, with in-depth market forecasting from 2015 to 2022. The forecast will provide an understanding of how epidemiology trends, new drug entries and new drug patents expirations will influence market value.
- Identify the leading companies in the market, in terms of market share and growth. Company analysis illustrates how dependent the key companies in the market are on revenue derived from cancer supportive care products. In addition, analysis determines the primary factors that will drive market growth for the key companies in the market.
- Identify commercial opportunities in the cancer supportive care deals landscape by analyzing trends in licensing and co-development deals.