OLED Lighting - Global Challenges and R&D Focus Areas (TechVision)
Organic light-emitting diode (OLED) is an emerging technology in the field of lighting. The future of OLED and its market implications will be determined by the breadth and depth of its application potential and its ability to open up a whole new world of opportunities. OLED lighting applications are poised to influence automotive, aerospace, high-end architectural lighting, and general lighting sectors.
It is interesting to note that automotive and aerospace may turn out to become attractive markets for OLED lighting. Though flexibility, light weight, low power consumption features may drive opportunities, cost is a key factor hindering adoption. The technology and innovation report focusses on capturing R&D initiatives related to materials, manufacturing, and luminaries.
Key questions addressed in the report:
1. What is the current status of OLED lighting technology?
2. What are the global trends related to R&D?
3. What are the R&D focus areas related to materials, manufacturing processes, and luminaries?
4. What are the challenges that hinder development and adoption?
5. What is the funding trend?
6. What are the key joints ventures propelling R&D?
7. What are the KPIs that govern R&D?
8. What is the R&D pipeline for OLED lighting?
- Executive Summary
- Research Scope
- Research Methodology
- Research Methodology Explained
- Key Findings - Significance, Key R&D Areas, and Applications
- Key Findings - Challenges, Industry Initiatives, and Global Scenario
- Key Questions for Strategy Planning
- OLED for Lighting - Techno-market Assessment
- Need for OLED Lighting Driven by Wide Surface Area, Sustainability, Flexibility, Thinness, and Enhanced Performance and Design
- Automotive and Architectural Lighting Are the Most Preferred Markets
- Flexibility Offered by OLED Lighting Opens Up New Product Development Opportunities
- Transparency, Color Tuning, and Uniform Mixing Are Few Benefits of OLED Lighting
- Cost a Prime Factor Influencing Adoption of OLED Lighting
- High Sensitivity to Voltage Change and Susceptibility to Micro Damage Hinder Adoption
- R&D Global Trends
- OLED Lighting R&D - Current Scenario, Industry Challenges, and Requirements
- R&D Focus Areas on Materials for OLED Lighting
- Substrate Materials Set the Foundation for OLED Lighting
- Electrode Materials in OLED Lighting Are Expected to Be Transparent
- Transport/Injection Layer Materials Are Required to Improve Emission Efficiency
- Electroluminescent Materials Can Provide High Luminescence in OLED lighting
- Encapsulation, Hole-blocking Layer, and Electron-blocking Layer Material Requirements in OLED Lighting
- R&D Focus Areas on Manufacturing Processes for OLED Lighting
- Roll-to-Roll Manufacturing Will Be a Key Manufacturing Process Enabling the Scalability of OLED Lighting
- OLED Lighting Manufacturing Techniques, Challenges and the Key Industry Requirements
- Light Extraction Techniques Enabling Cost-effective Light Extraction Capability in OLED Lighting
- Internal Extraction Technique Is the Key R&D Focus Area
- R&D Focus Areas on Luminaires for OLED Lighting
- Flexible Panels Would Encourage Development of Luminaires in OLED Lighting
- R&D Trends and Key Industry Initiatives
- Research Orientation
- Development of Materials with Increased Output Efficiency and Performance Is a Key R&D Focus Area
- Materials Improving Efficiency of Light Output Is Another Key R&D Focus Area in the OLED Lighting Space
- Reduction of the Overall Manufacturing Cost is the Key R&D Focus in OLED Lighting
- Development of Flexible Panels for OLED Lighting Is Another Key R&D Focus Area
- Business Related Challenges
- High Cost Associated with Manufacturing and Ownership Dampens the Prospects of OLED Lighting
- Growing Need for Innovative OLED Lighting Applications
- Challenges in Entering a Market Dominated by LED
- Emerging Lighting Market Needs
- R&D Funding and Collaborative Research Initiatives
- Government Funding Geared towards OLED Lighting R&D Initiatives
- Funding Focused on Scalability and Acceleration of Commercialization Activities
- Consumer Electronics and Lighting Companies Invest to Increase Product Range and Gain Market Leadership
- Strategic Alliances and Collaborative Initiatives Fostering Commercial Development
- European Commission Supports Various R&D Projects in OLED Lighting
- Various Companies Support R&D Initiatives on Implementing OLED Lighting for Aircraft and Automotive Applications
- Research Institutes across the Globe Focus on Reducing the Cost and Improving the Efficiency of OLED Lighting
- Assessment of Funding, Partnerships/Alliances
- R&D Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Technology Capability and the Environmental Sustainability of OLED Are Factors Driving Advancement in OLED Lighting
- Quality, Patent Strength, and Continuous Improvements Are Other KPIs
- Strategic R&D Pipeline and Insights
- Scalability and High Volume Production of Flexible OLED Lighting Are Key R&D Focus Areas
- OLED Lighting R&D Pipeline and Focus Areas
- OLED Lighting Can Lead to Development of Innovative Lighting Solutions
- Market Orientation Is the Key for Adoption
- Key Patents
- Patents Related to OLED Device and Its Properties
- Patents Related to Pixel Structure and Device
- Key Patents Covering OLED Encapsulation Structure, Backlight System, Improved Light Extraction Efficiency
- Patent on Fabrication of Light Extraction Substrate
- Industry Contacts