Mobile Apps in the North American Trucking Industry, 2016–2017
Smartphones are not only a gateway for information, they are also increasingly becoming business enablers for the trucking industry. They are driving up efficiency and opening up new opportunities in the trucking ecosystem with a spurt in the growth of dedicated mobile apps for trucking. While only a few drivers attached to large fleets get access to telematics services, owner operators and drivers of small fleets are likely to gain from a slew of mobile-based services due to over 80% smartphone penetration.
The North American trucking apps market is becoming an increasingly crowded space, with more than 70 major dedicated trucking apps and a host of new apps being launched every day. Stakeholders across the supply chain—including manufacturers, warehouses, 3PLs, shippers, brokers, carriers, drivers, owner operators, truck stops, fuel stations, repair shops, and end customers—are set to benefit profoundly due to these dedicated services at their fingertips.
While on-demand freight matching apps are likely to disrupt the on-road logistics industry, the innovation of fleet optimization apps and driver utility apps are expected to bring in efficiency, convenience, and visibility at various levels for all stakeholders like never before—helping trucking become more nimble and dynamic in response to present day real-time and just-in-time transportation management needs.
The North American trucking apps ecosystem has the potential to become a $35.4 billion market by 2025. New participants backed by blue-chip companies and OEMs with large purses are likely to be major disrupters, having the advantage of learning from the mistakes/best practices of the incumbents.
This research service is based on trucking apps available as of 2016, and their sustainability is assessed for the period 2017–2020. The geographic scope is North America.
Key Questions this Study Will Answer:
1) What are the challenges in the North American trucking industry and how can mobile technology help overcome them?
2) How can the app ecosystem be segmented and what services do these app segments offer?
3) What is the revenue/growth potential of the app segments?
4) What are the key apps in the market and what are their unique service propositions?
5) What are the top 20 apps to watch for during 2016–2020?
6) What new apps likely to be launched during 2017–2020 are expected to disrupt the trucking app ecosystem?
- Executive Summary
- Executive Summary-Top 8 Transformational Shifts Shaping the Future of Commercial Trucking
- Executive Summary-Digital Transformation in Trucking
- Executive Summary-Revenue Avenues in Trucking Apps
- Executive Summary-Future of Mobile Apps: Single Platform Solution
- Executive Summary-List of Key Trucking Apps by User Segment
- Executive Summary-Current and Future Outlook
- Research Scope, Objectives, Background, and Methodology
- Research Scope
- Research Aims and Objectives
- Key Questions This Study Will Answer
- Research Background
- Research Methodology
- Definitions and Segmentation
- Definition of Apps-Target User Base
- Classification Based on App Providers
- Selection Criteria to Shortlist Final List of Trucking Apps
- Opportunities in Mobile Apps
- Why Mobile Apps for Trucking? What Can They Offer?
- What Services Can Mobile Apps Offer?
- Where Lies the Potential in Mobile Apps, and for Whom?
- Freight Mobility Apps
- Overview of Challenges for Freight Mobility
- Key Drivers for Digitalization of Freight Mobility
- Mobile-based Freight Mobility Services
- Freight Mobility Apps-Broad Classification
- Freight Mobility-Key App Providers
- Freight Mobility Apps-Market Overview
- Shortlisting of Freight Mobility Apps
- Table Mobile Apps Transforming the Trucking Industry: Shortlisting Key Freight Mobility Apps, North America, 2016
- Freight Mobility Apps-Frost & Sullivan Evaluation Radar Scorecard
- Table Mobile Apps Transforming the Trucking Industry: Scorecard of Key Freight Mobility Apps, North America, 2016
- Freight Mobility Apps-Frost & Sullivan Evaluation Radar Plot
- Fleet Optimization Apps
- Overview of Challenges for Fleet Optimization
- Fleet Optimization Apps-Broad Classification
- Fleet Optimization-Benchmarking Key App Providers
- Fleet Optimization Apps-Market Overview
- Shortlisting of Fleet Optimization Apps
- Table Mobile Apps Transforming the Trucking Industry: Shortlisting of Key Fleet Optimization Apps, North America, 2016
- Fleet Optimization Apps-Frost & Sullivan Evaluation Radar Scorecard
- Table Mobile Apps Transforming the Trucking Industry: Scorecard on Key Fleet Optimization Apps, North America, 2016
- Fleet Optimization Apps-Frost & Sullivan Evaluation Radar Plot
- Driver Utility Apps
- Overview of Challenges for Truck Drivers
- Smartphone Penetration among Commercial Truck Drivers
- Driver Utility Apps-Broad Classification
- Driver Utility-Benchmarking Key App Providers
- Driver Utility Apps-Market Overview
- Shortlist of Driver Utility Apps
- Table Mobile Apps Transforming the Trucking Industry: Shortlist of Key Driver Utility Apps, North America, 2016
- Driver Utility Apps-Frost & Sullivan Evaluation Radar Scorecard
- Table Mobile Apps Transforming the Trucking Industry: Scorecard of Key Driver Utility Apps, North America, 2016
- Driver Utility Apps-Frost & Sullivan Evaluation Radar Plot
- Frost & Sullivan Trucking Apps Evaluation Radar
- Frost & Sullivan's Criteria to Shortlist Key Apps
- Frost & Sullivan Trucking Mobile Apps Evaluation Radar-Plot
- Frost & Sullivan Sustainability Index for Trucking Apps
- Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
- Transformation in North American Trucking Apps Ecosystem-2016
- Growth Opportunity-Disruption Apps, Business Model, and Value-add Services
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
- Trucking Apps-Top 5 Insights
- Potential New Entrants in 2017-Movers and Shakers
- The Last Word-3 Big Predictions
- Top Freight Mobility App Profiles
- Overview of Convoy
- Overview of Cargo Chief
- Overview of Loadsmart
- Overview of Next Trucking
- Overview of Overhaul
- Overview of Transfix
- Overview of Truckloads
- Overview of Truckstop Mobile
- Top Driver Utility App Profiles
- Overview of myPilot
- Overview of Blue Bloodhound
- Overview of KeepTruckin
- Overview of MyLumper
- Overview of My ONE20
- Overview of TruckerLine
- Overview of Trucker Path
- Top Fleet Optimization App Profiles
- Overview of Drivewyze
- Overview of Gorilla Safety
- Overview of GreenRoad
- Overview of MineFleetLite (To be released under Vyncs brand)
- Overview of PedalCoach
- Abbreviations and Acronyms Used