Kolkata Green City Mission—Opportunities Analysis, 2017
Urbanization in India is expected to reach 40% with over 600 million living in urban areas contributing to 70% of GDP by 2030.
To meet the burgeoning infrastructure needs, the GoI launched the 100 Smart City Mission in April 2015 which would be implemented through area based approaches.
Each city will get Central assistance to the tune of INR 500 Cr for 5 years. The remaining money has to be raised by the Smart city corporations.
The West Bengal Government submitted the Smart city proposal for New Town Kolkata, Bidhan Nagar, Durgapur and Haldia in June 2015 to the Ministry of Urban Development.
In December 2016 the State Government opted out of the Smart city mission of the Central Government and initiated the Green City mission.
The Green city mission envisions implementation of sustainable strategies to achieve overall city development. Projects identified as part of Draft Smart city proposal submitted to Ministry of Urban Development are expected to be included in the Green city mission strategy.
The Urban Development Department is the nodal agency for the development for Green city mission in West Bengal.The focus of the green city is on the creation of sufficient ecospace, a sustainable water reservoir system and modern transport with low emissions.
- Frost & Sullivan-Introduction
- Scope & Limitations
- Executive Summary
- State Government intends to build Kolkata as environment friendly, sustainable, livable, energy positive, IT friendly and safe city
- The Green city mission envisions implementation of sustainable strategies to achieve overall city development
- Green Cities in India
- In 2030, India's cities will be home to 600 Mn people, presenting immense opportunities and challenges
- Globally, city governments are focusing on development of Smart city technologies to tackle urban challenges
- Government of India has rolled out the Smart City Mission in 2015 to partly address urbanization needs
- West Bengal state government opted out of the Smart city mission and initiated the Green city mission toward Urban development
- Kolkata Green City
- Revenue surplus urban local bodies drive the best in class core infrastructure service coverage in Kolkata
- Vision and themes of the Kolkata Green proposal support steps to improve urban governance and city image
- The KMC is the central agency for identification of projects to be part of the Green city mission
- Summary for Kolkata Green city Plan with Area Based Development and Pan City Projects
- Sector-wise projects identified in the Green city mission - (1/2)
- Multiple national programs being implemented in the city to be aligned with the Green city mission (1/2)
- Capacity building and skill development projects have been scheduled during the medium to long terms
- Opportunity Analysis
- Capacity development and transportation sector offer sizeable opportunities in urban development in Kolkata
- For evaluating opportunities proposed in the City Development Plan of Kolkata, businesses fall under three categories: (1/2)
- Further along the value chain the Project Implementation segment offers high value opportunities
- Go-to-Market Recommendations
- Go-to-Market approaches for private players to participate in Green city projects in West Bengal have been identified…
- and evaluation of the projects has been carried out to determine the go-to-market approach - (1/2)
- Ease and Priority of implementation and Project time drive direct procurement contracts
- The Green city mission targets for implementing sustainable strategies to achieve overall city development
- Parameters considered for evaluation of opportunities
- Annexure: Our Services
- Maximize opportunities from existing products and markets; systematically explore new products, markets, including inorganic Opportunities
- Our Growth Consulting Canvas