Disruptive Opportunities for Cobots in Manufacturing
Collaborative robots or cobots are robots that can perform tasks alongside humans. The interoperability and the ease of integration into existing factory environment are encouraging its development and adoption in recent years. Their interaction with humans is more natural and they share the same workspace and can be easily reprogrammed.
Robotic platforms are expected to be pivotal role in the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT). Cobots are designed with powerful on-board computers and are interoperable making it easily join the IIoT environment. Apart from automating the factory environment, the adoption of cobot will ease the tasks of humans associated with dangerous and hazardous tasks. With cobots still in its early stages of adoption in the manufacturing sector, enabling technologies can be expected to create disruptive opportunities in the manufacturing sector. They key technologies include artificial intelligence, 5G communication, mixed reality, natural language processing, machine vision and LiDAR sensors.
The scope of this report is limited to cobots based on its applicability in the manufacturing sector. The technology and innovation report focuses on providing a snapshot on the key emerging technologies enabling development of next-generation cobots in the manufacturing industry. Technologies profiled in the report include artificial intelligence, 5G communication, mixed reality, natural language processing, machine vision and LiDAR sensors. A global analysis of the current development of technologies enabling next generation cobots was done to assess the disruptive opportunities of cobots in manufacturing.
Key aspects addressed in the research report include the following:
What are the key emerging technologies impacting adoption of cobots?
What are the benefits and applications of collaborative robots?
What are the major innovations impacting technology development?
What are the main focus areas of technology development?
Who are the major stakeholders driving developments and commercialization?
How it has impacted different applications?
What are future growth opportunities for cobots?
- Executive Summary
- Research Scope
- Research Methodology
- Research Methodology Explained
- Summary of Key Findings
- Collaborative Robots for Manufacturing – Technology Status Review
- Collaborative Robots in the Manufacturing Sector– A Brief Snapshot
- Low Cost, Ease of Installation, and Increased Flexibility Drive Adoption
- Benefits of Robotics Increasing Manufacturing Capability
- Low payload and low-power capabilities can Hinder Wide scale Adoption
- Key Applications of Cobots in Manufacturing
- Other Applications of Cobots in Manufacturing Sector
- Key Enabling Technologies and Disruptive Opportunities
- Key Technologies Influencing the Development of Cobots
- Artificial Intelligence
- AI is Powering Robotics to Help Optimize Production
- Machine learning and Deep Learning suitable for Collaborative Robots
- AI Companies Working on the Development of Cobots
- Industrial Initiatives on Inclusion of Artificial Intelligence in Manufacturing
- Impact of 5G communication in Robotic Applications
- Use Cases Demonstrating 5G Effectively
- Companies Planning 5G Rollout
- Machine Vision
- Machine Vision is Empowering Robots to Handle the Demands of High-speed Manufacturing Environments
- Machine Vision Ensures Independent Operation of Robots in Manufacturing
- Cognex and Dalsa are Collaborating with Collaborative Robot Manufacturers
- Natural Language Processing
- Natural Language Processing is Enabling Effective Human Robot Interaction
- IBM Watson has Developed an NLP-based API to Build the Watson IoT Platform
- Prominent Companies Building NLP-based Technology
- Mixed Reality
- Mixed Reality Provides Visualization of the Real World Objects
- Mixed Reality Will Help Revolutionize Factory Floor Interaction
- Google, Apple and WayRay are working on the development of mixed reality solutions
- Research & Development Initiatives in Mixed Reality
- Wireless Sensing is Key to Leveraging Intelligent Robotics
- Impact of Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) in Cobots
- Recent Developments in LiDAR for Robotics
- LiDAR Stakeholder Ecosystem
- Use Case Studies Showcasing the Capability of Cobots in Manufacturing
- BMW Deploys Cobots to Handle Sound Insulation and Water Sealing
- Ford deploys KUKA robots to Install Shock Absorbers
- Bajaj Auto Uses Cobots for Factory Automation
- Trelleborg Sealing Solutions uses Robots for Machine Tending Applications
- FANUC Robots Operate Continuously at Audi plant
- Stakeholder Ecosystem
- Entire Ecosystem Converging toward the Development of Collaborative Robots
- Key Collaborative Robot Companies in Manufacturing
- Collaborative Robot innovations by Robotics companies
- Emerging Collaborative Robot Companies in Manufacturing
- Other Collaborative Robot Companies in Manufacturing
- Growth Opportunities of Cobots in Manufacturing
- Improvement in Factory Performance and Performance of Complicated Tasks are Some of the Key Opportunities Created by Cobots
- Advancements in Sensor Technologies will Lead to Development of cobots and also Encourage Nations toward Reshoring
- Increased Adoption of Autonomous Solutions and Data Reliance Creates Opportunities
- Industry Contacts