Global demand for motorcycles is forecast to expand 6.4% annually to 147 million units in 2027. The rate of growth will improve considerably over the previous five-year period as:
- China recovers from low sales in 2022, due in part to the implementation of a stringent pandemic policy in that year
- more stringent emission standards are implemented in some parts of the world and a general shift to electric-powered modes of transportation, boosting sales of e-bikes and other electric models
The Asia/Pacific Region to Account for More Than 75% of Global Market Gains
The immense Asia/Pacific market is projected to see significant demand growth, and will account for the vast majority of absolute gains through 2027:
- Improving market conditions in China – which registered a double-digit drop in product sales in 2022 because of its strict Zero-COVID policy – will be a key driver of gains during the forecast period, especially for electric models.
- Rising incomes in middle- and low-income countries such as India, Indonesia, Pakistan, and the Philippines will bolster sales of both new and replacement motorcycles.
- Mature markets like Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan will expand at a solid rate during this time, largely driven by surging sales of electric models, as governments continue to promote the use of electric two-wheelers through subsidies and investments in charging infrastructure.
Environmental Concerns & Wider Availability Boost Sales of E-Bikes & Other Electric Models
Through 2027, the e-bike segment will account for 23% of overall motorcycle market gains, while sales of electric motorcycles, scooters, mopeds, and other models climb nearly 11% per year:
- E-bike sales will benefit from increasing consumer interest in these products as an alternative form of transportation, the rising sales of specialty models (e.g., e-cargo bikes), and the growing use of these machines for recreation (e.g., e-mountain bikes).
- Electric motorcycle, scooter, and moped sales will benefit from a sharp increase in the number of companies offering these products, and many existing suppliers will invest in new production capacity, leading to the greater availability of these product types. Sales will also be encouraged by the shrinking performance gap between electric and ICE models. Advances for all electric models will also be bolstered by government and industry initiatives aimed at reducing the environmental impact of transportation, ranging from subsidies to designation of new bicycle lanes.
This Freedonia study analyzes the 108 million unit global motorcycle market. The study presents supply and demand figures for 2012, 2017, and 2022, and forecasts for 2027 and 2032. We also offer annual data for the 2019-2026 period and historical motorcycle demand charts for the 2000-2022 period for all countries. Freedonia’s Global Motorcycles also presents product demand by type data (ICE mopeds, scooters, and motorbikes; light ICE motorcycles; medium and heavy ICE motorcycles; e-bikes; and electric motorcycles, scooters, and mopeds) for 25 countries. Additionally, this study provides a competitive analysis of industry leaders and provides market share for 27 leading manufacturers, such as Accell Group, Bajaj Auto, BMW Motorrad, Eicher Motors, Giant Manufacturing, Harley-Davidson, Hero MotoCorp, Honda, Italika, Jangsu Yadea, Kawasaki, Pierer Mobility, Merida, Piaggio, Suzuki, TVS Motor, and Yamaha. At the global level, the study also offers market share figures for ICE motorcycles, scooters, mopeds, and motorbikes; e-bikes; and electric motorcycles, scooters, mopeds, and motorbikes. It also presents regional market share figures.