Harnessing Patient-Centricity to Drive Profitability
Most, if not all, pharma companies are slowly but surely transforming themselves into patient-centric organisations, but some are much further along the path than others. What have the pioneers done differently and what have they learned in the process? What does success look like? And can patient-centric performance be accurately measured or compared? Harnessing Patient Centricity to Drive Profitability takes a pragmatic view across the patient-centric landscape, drawing upon the experiences and input of leaders in the field and providing new ideas on how to evolve your patient-first mindset to the next level.
Discover on this page…
Reasons to buy this report
- Key themes covered in the report
- What you will learn from the report
- Detailed table of contents
- Research objectives and methodologies employed producing in the report
The promise of 'putting patients at the heart of everything we do' sounds great, but what does it actually mean in practice? For some pharma companies, it has proved difficult to move forward from a handful of day-to-day patient activities and an oft-mentioned sentiment that is difficult to translate into meaningful results. But the real pioneers in this transformative area have made a significant step change. To achieve patient-centricity (and start to see the benefits), there must be a cultural shift that touches all areas of the business and every stage in the drug lifecycle. Those who have thus far simply paid lip-service to an ideal are now starting to stand out –for the wrong reasons. This report will enable you to…
Table of Contents
- Understand why patient-centricity is critically important as well as the benefits it can deliver if goals are set and advanced correctly.
- Discover which companies are leading the way on patient-centricity and find out what they are doing to break new ground.
- Assess the internal and external barriers to progress and build a case for management commitment and investment in patient-centricity over the long-term.
- Gain insight into how the progress and performance of patient-centric initiatives can be monitored and measured to provide meaningful insight to senior management.
- Hear expert views on how patient-centricity could evolve plus how key issues such as use of data, regulatory clarity and accurate measurement can all be addressed.
- Learn about the top recommendations for success from the leaders in the field.
Executive summaryPatient centricity overview
How companies address patient centricity
- Key insights
- There is not a consistent definition of patient centricity
- Patient centricity is seen as a critically important concept
- Patient centricity delivers genuine benefit for all stakeholders
- The pharmaceutical industry is viewed as being relatively patient centric
- There are still many different approaches to patient centricity
- Developing products that satisfy patients' needs is the key driver for patient centricity
- Considerable progress has been made but barriers remain
- There is a range of external barriers preventing greater patient centricity
- The key internal barrier is resistance to change
Measuring patient centricity
- Key findings
- Great strides have been made towards greater patient centricity
- Patient-centric goals are vital for companies to drive the concept forward
- The tangible outcomes of patient centricity vary depending on many factors
- There are several companies leading the way in patient centricity
- UCB has been driving patient centricity forward for several years
- Boehringer Ingelheim: taking bold steps to show its patient-centric credentials
- Companies with a single focus have found it more straightforward to implement the patient-centric approach
- Many companies are now including patients in assessment of clinical trial design and execution
The future of patient centricity
- Key findings
- The measurement of patient centricity remains an elusive concept
- Companies have adapted existing tools to measure patient centricity
- Surveys remain a popular method to assess patient centricity
- Certain indicators can show how patient centric a company is
- Profitability of patient centricity is important but complicated to measure
- Employees need to be accountable for patient centricity for it to be a success
- Key findings
- Patient centricity will evolve to become a more mature concept
- Data will enable a better understanding of patients' needs
- Increasing regulatory clarity will overcome barriers to patient centricity
- Patients will expect better provision of information
- Accurate measurement of patient centricity will become an increasing focus
- Recommendations for success
- Gain senior management support to drive the culture change
- Objectively assess how patient centric a company is
- Patient centricity is more than putting patients at the heart of all a company does
Research Methodology and Objectives
- Figure 1: The three aspects of measuring patient centricity in clinical trials
- Figure 2: Key performance indicators for patient centricity
This qualitative report offers a unique insight into industry progress on patient-centricity. It includes a clear overview of current approaches and delves into the practicalities, strategies and barriers to meeting longer-term goals as well as recommendations for next steps.
The insights presented are based on in-depth interviews conducted between with 8 pharma industry experts, all of whom are at the forefront of patient-centricity. Three interviewees chose to remain anonymous. Findings are backed up by secondary research.
Key questions explored in this report include:
- Jason DeGoes, Head of Global Patient Solutions Team at Teva Pharmaceuticals
- Keri Yale, Director, Patient Advocacy and Professional Relations, Boehringer Ingelheim
- Dr Luther T Clark, Global Director, Scientific Medical and Patient Perspective, Office of the Chief Patient Office, Merck & Co., Inc.
- Jaye-Bea Smalley, Associate Director, Patient Advocacy and Professional Relations-Patient Engagement, Boehringer Ingelheim
- Danielle Derijcke, Global Patient Affairs Officer,UCB
- How is patient-centricity defined and do views differ on what it means?
- What key objectives and goals have pharma companies set regarding patient-centricity?
- What do successful patient centric initiatives and activities look like?
- What results can be expected from specific patient-centric tasks or activities?
- What are the tangible outcomes of patient-centricity and what KPIs can be used to assess success?
FirstWord is an innovative industry intelligence leader serving over 240,000 Pharma and MedTech professionals worldwide. FirstWord offers a range of products and services designed to help your company gain a competitive edge by making key business decisions with speed and confidence.
FirstWord Pharma PLUS is a personalised and comprehensive intelligence service delivering up-to-the-minute pharma news, insight, analysis and expert views of importance to your company’s success.
FirstWord Reports deliver timely, need-to-know intelligence about your products, your competitors and your markets. Covering biosimilars, market access, medical affairs, sales & marketing, technology and therapy areas, FirstWord Reports provide expert views and intelligence on the challenges facing pharma today.