Charting MSL Activity and Performance (2017)
What developments do MSL’s report as changing their priorities and practice?
Charting MSL Activity and Performance 2017 is a fully-updated and expanded survey of Medical Science Liaison (MSL) professionals in the US and EU5 which reveals the changing face of MSL activity and the key engagement strategies and performance metrics that are being employed today.
Building on the ground breaking 2015 Survey, the new and expanded 2017 edition is now informed by the responses and experiences of 100 MSLs who work in the 100 leading pharma companies. The Survey provides analysis of the critical variations in US/European MSL activity, comparative data on how priorities and practice have changed over the last two years and where MSL’s see further change in the future.
For clear and actionable insights on engagement strategies, internal communications and performance measurement from frontline MSL staff, look no further than Charting MSL Activity and Performance 2017.
Reasons to Purchase
- Understand which MSL activities are seen as being most important in the US and Europe
- Benchmark your own MSL programmes and identify new ways to improve performance
- Understand differing US/European attitudes in key areas such patient advocacy group interactions, MSL team creation, sales force training and KOL engagement channels, timing and performance
- Examine how US/European MSLs view the value of delivering scientific presentations to KOLs and physicians and the decline of this activity in the US
- Identify the most widely used measurements for evaluating MSL-KOL engagement and feedback
- Know which performance metrics are favoured for demonstrating value to internal stakeholders
- Understand the current balance between quantitative and qualitative metrics used to measure MSL performance and gain insight as to how they may change in the future
Key Questions Answered by This Report:
- At what drug development stage is an MSL team established, how many brands do they handle and how does this differ between the US and Europe?
- How do MSL performance measurement criteria change pre to post launch?
- “Building new KOL relationships” is a critical post launch activity, but what outcomes are sought and how is success measured?
- To what extent do US and European views differ on MSL activity in supporting KOLs/physicians on patient access and patient education?
- What performance criteria do MSL experts see as becoming increasingly important over the near term and how has this changed in the last 2 years?
- In a typical month, how many KOLs/Physicians do US and EU MSLs contact and what is the most popular means of communication?
- Has the rise of new stakeholders changed the way MSL performance is measured?
- What metrics are companies using to demonstrate MSL value and how do they differ in the US and Europe?
- Your report purchase gives you access to unique data and analysis that can be employed practically in your plans and to hone your internal performance measurement systems:
- Data Report: Clear, concise and easy to read tables and charts presented as MS PowerPoint slides with expert views on key findings
- Data Tabulations: Full survey data provided in MS Excel
- Survey Questionnaire: delivered as a PDF document
About the Survey
- Interview Methodology: Data collected via a 25-minute internet-based questionnaire
- Screening Criteria: Respondents were screened to ensure that they are MSLs or MSL managers/directors
- Expanded Sample Distribution: A total of 100 US/EU5-based MSLs and MSL managers who work for pharmaceutical companies ranked in the top 100 by revenue
Who will benefit from this report?
- MSL teams needing to ensure they are employing the latest strategies in their work
- Medical affairs directors needing to ensure MSL activity and training is appropriately funded
- Training professionals tasked with developing MSL skills and competence
- MSL team managers executing strategy and measuring success
- Regulatory teams ensuring compliance
- Medical education professionals needing MSL feedback to develop on-target patient and physician materials
Report Content Highlights
- Number of Brands Supported and Areas of Responsibility
- Assignment of MSLs to Brands and Discussion of New Products with Physicians
- MSL Pre-Launch and Post-Launch Activities
- Numbers and Methods of Interactions With Physicians
- Time Spent on Proactive vs. Reactive Engagement
MSL Performance Measurements
- Internal Communication Frequency and Format
- Performance Measurements Used to Evaluate MSLs
- Methods to Gather Information on External Value Metrics
- Frequency of Performance Review
Value Demonstration to Internal Stakeholders of MSL Performance Measurements
- Usefulness of MSL Performance Measurements in Value Demonstration
- Expected Changes in MSL Performance Measurements in Value Demonstration
FirstWord is an innovative industry intelligence leader serving over 240,000 Pharma and MedTech professionals worldwide. FirstWord offers a range of products and services designed to help your company gain a competitive edge by making key business decisions with speed and confidence.
FirstWord Pharma PLUS is a personalised and comprehensive intelligence service delivering up-to-the-minute pharma news, insight, analysis and expert views of importance to your company’s success.
FirstWord Reports deliver timely, need-to-know intelligence about your products, your competitors and your markets. Covering biosimilars, market access, medical affairs, sales & marketing, technology and therapy areas, FirstWord Reports provide expert views and intelligence on the challenges facing pharma today.
- 1.MSL Activities
- 1.1 Number of Brands Supported and Areas of Responsibility
- 1.2 Assignment of MSLs to Brands and Discussion of New Products with Physicians
- 1.3 MSL Pre-Launch and Post-Launch Activities
- 1.4 Numbers and Methods of Interactions With Physicians
- 1.5 Time Spent on Proactive vs. Reactive Engagement
- 2. MSL Performance Measurements
- 2.1 Internal Communication Frequency and Format
- 2.2 Performance Measurements Used to Evaluate MSLs
- 2.3 Methods to Gather Information on External Value Metrics
- 2.4 Frequency of Performance Review
- 3. Value Demonstration to Internal Stakeholders of MSL Performance Measurements
- 3.1 Usefulness of MSL Performance Measurements in Value Demonstration
- 3.2 Expected Changes in MSL Performance Measurements in Value Demonstration
- 4.1 Screeners – MSL profile