Newspaper Publishers

Newspaper Publishers

Brief Excerpt from Industry Overview Chapter:

Companies in this industry are engaged in operations like producing and distributing newspapers, and also include writing news and selling advertisements. The newspapers published are in both print and digital forms. Major companies include Gannett, McClatchy, and News Corp (all based in the US). Other major companies outside the US are Asahi Shimbun (Japan), Axel Springer (Germany), and the Daily Mail and General Trust (UK).


Corporate spending on advertising and consumer disposable income drive demand. The profitability of individual companies depends on effective marketing and efficient operations. Large companies benefit from economies of scale in administration and by providing a range of outlets for advertisers. Small publishers can compete successfully by serving desirable markets. The US industry is concentrated: the top 50 companies generate about 75% of revenue.


The main sources of newspaper revenue include circulation (subscription and single-copy sales), which accounts for about 54% of traditional global revenue, and advertising (digital and print), which accounts for the remaining 46%. Large-circulation newspapers are usually produced daily; community newspapers are usually produced weekly. A small but growing share of newspaper revenue comes from new sources such as digital agency and marketing services, event marketing, e-commerce, commercial printing, distribution of other products to consumers, and income from royalties, licensing, rental, waste, and scrap sales. Some newspapers operate under a controlled-circulation model –- they're free to a targeted audience and receive revenue only from advertising.

Industry Overview
Quarterly Industry Update
Business Challenges
Business Trends
Industry Opportunities
Call Preparation Questions
Financial Information
Industry Forecast
Web Links and Acronyms

Download our eBook: How to Succeed Using Market Research

Learn how to effectively navigate the market research process to help guide your organization on the journey to success.

Download eBook
Cookie Settings