Companies in this industry operate self-service laundry facilities or provide dry cleaning, specialty cleaning and full-service laundering services. Major US companies include CSC ServiceWorks (owner of Coinmach, Mac-Gray, and other brands), EnviroStar (owner of DryClean USA), and Huntington (owner of Martinizing and other brands).
The US laundry facilities and dry cleaning services industry includes about 33,000 establishments (single-location companies and units of multi-location companies) with combined annual revenue of about $11 billion. About 22,000 establishments provide retail laundry and dry cleaning services and account for about 70% of industry revenue; about 11,000 establishments operate laundromats and account for the remaining 30% of revenue.
Commercial and industrial laundry services are covered in the Linen and Uniform Supply Services industry profile.
Demand depends on consumer spending. The profitability of individual companies depends on efficient operations and favorable store locations. Large dry cleaning companies can achieve economies of scale by using centralized cleaning operations to serve multiple retail locations. Small companies can compete successfully by owning favorable locations or providing special services. The US dry cleaning segment is highly fragmented: the 50 largest firms generate less than 10% of revenue. The US coin-laundry segment is fragmented: the 50 largest firms generate about 40% of revenue.
PRODUCTS, OPERATIONS & TECHNOLOGY
Retail laundry and dry cleaning services account for about 70% of industry revenue; laundromats account for about 30%.
Retail dry cleaning operations consist of collecting, inspecting, and tagging clothing, operating dry cleaning machinery either...