Spectacles in South Africa
Prior to the emergence of COVID-19 in South Africa, the country was already experiencing economic instability and declining disposable incomes, resulting in general slowing demand for spectacles in the country. These products require an initial costly outlay which is beyond the reach of many lower-income consumers, despite their need for spectacles to halt further poor eye health. The alternative more affordable option to more expensive separate spectacle frames and lenses, readymade reading gla...
Euromonitor International's Spectacles in South Africa report offers a comprehensive guide to the size and shape of the market at a national level. It provides the latest retail sales data (2015-2019), allowing you to identify the sectors driving growth. It identifies the leading companies, the leading brands and offers strategic analysis of key factors influencing the market – be they new product developments, distribution or pricing issues. Forecasts to 2024 illustrate how the market is set to change.
Product coverage: Readymade Reading Glasses, Spectacle Frames, Spectacle Lenses.
Data coverage: market sizes (historic and forecasts), company shares, brand shares and distribution data.
Why buy this report?
* Get a detailed picture of the Spectacles market;
* Pinpoint growth sectors and identify factors driving change;
* Understand the competitive environment, the market’s major players and leading brands;
* Use five-year forecasts to assess how the market is predicted to develop.
Euromonitor International has over 40 years' experience of publishing market research reports, business reference books and online information systems. With offices in London, Chicago, Singapore, Shanghai, Vilnius, Dubai, Cape Town, Santiago, Sydney, Tokyo and Bangalore and a network of over 800 analysts worldwide, Euromonitor International has a unique capability to develop reliable information resources to help drive informed strategic planning.
- Spectacles in South Africa
- Euromonitor International
- September 2020
- List OF CONTENTS AND TABLES
- KEY DATA FINDINGS
- 2020 IMPACT
- Temporary closure of optical shops during lockdown results in slowing demand for optical shops, exacerbating trend already noted pre-COVID-19 due to economic instability
- Spectacles fairly concentrated in the hands of major players in 2019
- Heightened awareness of need for strict hygiene routines during the pandemic could benefit further development of spectacle lens cleaning solutions
- RECOVERY AND OPPORTUNITIES
- Spectacles slow to gain stronger upturn in demand due to price sensitivity
- Increasing cases of various eye health conditions in South Africa will continue to drive greater demand for readymade reading glasses and spectacle lenses
- Fashion trends will continue to reduce stigma attached to wearing spectacles, with lower-priced options which follow global designs likely to gain in relevance
- CATEGORY DATA
- Table 1 Sales of Spectacles by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 2 Sales of Spectacles by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 3 Sales of Spectacles by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 4 Sales of Spectacles by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Table 5 Sales of Spectacle Lenses by Type: % Value 2015-2020
- Table 6 NBO Company Shares of Spectacles: % Value 2015-2019
- Table 7 LBN Brand Shares of Spectacles: % Value 2016-2019
- Table 8 Distribution of Spectacles by Format: % Value 2015-2020
- Table 9 Forecast Sales of Spectacles by Category: Volume 2020-2025
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Spectacles by Category: Value 2020-2025
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Spectacles by Category: % Volume Growth 2020-2025
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Spectacles by Category: % Value Growth 2020-2025
- EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- COVID-19 impact on eyewear
- COVID-19 country impact
- Company response
- Retailing shift
- What next for eyewear?
- MARKET DATA
- Table 13 Sales of Eyewear by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 14 Sales of Eyewear by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 15 Sales of Eyewear by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 16 Sales of Eyewear by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Table 17 NBO Company Shares of Eyewear: % Value 2015-2019
- Table 18 LBN Brand Shares of Eyewear: % Value 2016-2019
- Table 19 Distribution of Eyewear by Format: % Value 2015-2020
- Table 20 Forecast Sales of Eyewear by Category: Volume 2020-2025
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Eyewear by Category: Value 2020-2025
- Table 22 Forecast Sales of Eyewear by Category: % Volume Growth 2020-2025
- Table 23 Forecast Sales of Eyewear by Category: % Value Growth 2020-2025
- GLOBAL MACROECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- GLOBAL INDUSTRY ENVIRONMENT
- Summary 1 Research Sources