Industry Report_Indian Sugar Industry_September 2014
The report provides detailed market analysis, information and insights, including:
Overview of Sugar Industry in India
Detailed analysis of the industry taking into account its composition, growth, trends and drivers, challenges, key players and industry prospects
The Indian Sugar Industry is the second largest in the world after Brazil, accounting for approximately 15% of the global sugar production. India consumes approximately 22 MT of sugar annually - Maharashtra contributes over 60% of it while the rest of the output comes from states like Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. Around 80% of all sugar is derived from sugar cane– a tall, bamboo- like grass that grows to a height of 6m (20ft) and is largely grown in tropical countries; the remaining 20% comes from sugar beet – a root crop resembling a large parsnip, grown mainly in the temperate zones in the North. In general, the costs of producing sugar from sugar cane are lower than for sugar beet. Continuous rise in cost of producing sugar over the last few years is the main concern among sugar mills producer. Sugarcane costs, which comprise over 70% of a sugar mill’s total cost is likely to increase in FY14. Indian sugar industry can be said to have entered sluggish face in 2014, causing fall in productive volume as the industry continues to wrestle with challenges like water scarcity in major productive states of Maharashtra and Karnataka as well as declining prices in the international market due to surplus in output.
Reasons to Buy
Take strategic business decisions using market data related to the Indian Sugar Industry
Understand the demand and supply side dynamics within the Indian Sugar Industry and get an understanding on key market trends, competitive landscape and growth opportunities