Western Europe Pay TV Operator Forecasts
Liberty Global has been the largest pay TV operator in Europe for some time (with assets both in the West and in the East). However, its top slot in Western Europe is under threat, with Sky Europe [satellite subs only] expected to overtake its subscriber count in 2017, according to a new report from Digital TV Research.
Pay TV subscriptions for the 66 operators across 15 countries covered in the Western Europe Pay TV Operator Forecasts report will increase from a collective 82.0 million in 2010 to 93.1 million by 2020. Covering 98 platforms, these operators will continue to represent just under 90% of Western European pay TV subscribers.
Only 36 (55%) of these operators will add to subscribers between 2014 and 2020. Traditional pay TV operators now face greater rivalry than ever before – either from other pay TV platforms such as IPTV or satellite or from “free” multichannel TV services such as DTT and OTT TV and video (such as Netflix).
Spain’s Telefonica will add 2.18 million IPTV subscribers between 2014 and 2020 to take its total to 3.84 million. The UK’s BT and TalkTalk will also gain; climbing by 999,000 and 607,000 IPTV subs respectively.
At the other end of the scale, Germany’s Unitymedia will lose 592,000 cable TV subs, followed by the Netherlands’ UPC (down by 400,000) and Sweden’s Com Hem (down by 390,000 subs). France’s TNT will lose a third of its subs, with Switzerland’s UPC/Cablecom and Finland’s Canal Digital down by a quarter.
Please Note: this is delivered as a Zip file.
- Published in September 2015, this 134-page electronically-delivered report comes in two parts:
- A 108-page PDF giving a global executive summary, country/operator analysis and forecasts.
- An excel workbook giving comparison tables and country-by-country forecasts in detail for 66 operators across 15 territories for every year from 2010 to 2020.
- Countries and operators covered:
- Country No of ops Operators
- Austria 3 Telekom Austria; UPC; Sky
- Belgium 5 Belgacom; Numericable; Telenet; VOO; Telesat/TV Vlaanderen
- Denmark 6 Canal Digital; Viasat; You See; Stofa; Boxer; TDC
- Finland 6 Plus TV; Elisa; Teliasonera; DNA; Canal Digital; Viasat
- France 7 Orange; SFR; CanalSat; Numericable; Free; Bouygues; TNT
- Germany 5 Kabel Deutschland; Vodafone; DT/T-Home; Sky; Unitymedia KBW
- Ireland 2 UPC; Sky
- Italy 3 Mediaset; Sky; Telecom Italia
- Netherlands 4 UPC/Ziggo; Canal Digitaal; Tele 2; KPN/Digitenne
- Norway 5 Canal Digital; Viasat; Riks TV; Telenor; Get
- Portugal 4 Meo/PT; Zon; Cabovisao; Vodafone
- Spain 3 Ono; Canal Plus; Telefonica
- Sweden 6 Canal Digital; Viasat; Com Hem; Telia; Boxer; Telenor
- Switzerland 3 Swisscom; UPC/Cablecom; Sunrise
- UK 4 Sky; Virgin; BT; TalkTalk
- Forecasts (2010-2020) contain the following detail for each country:
- By country:
- TV households
- Digital cable subs
- Analog cable subs
- Pay IPTV subscribers
- Pay digital satellite TV subs
- Pay DTT homes
- Total pay TV subscribers
- Pay TV revenues
- By operator (and by platform by operator):
- Pay TV subscribers
- Share of pay TV subscribers by operator
- Subscription & VOD revenues
- Share of pay TV revenues by operator