France Plant Protein Business and Investment Opportunities (2018-2027) Insight Series – White Space / Gap Analysis, Product Strategy, Innovation and Brand Share Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Market Size Across 50+ Segments - Updated in Q1, 2021
France’s plant protein market is poised for rapid growth in the coming years, making it one of the fastest-growing markets in the European Union. Over the past few years, the country has seen a growing demand for plant protein owing to the food transition among French consumers towards a vegan diet. Although the vegetarian and vegan population is still low, the trend has resulted in an increased number of flexitarians who are majorly driving the market. Growing intolerances towards animal sources and consciousness among consumers for a healthy, sustainable, and ethical lifestyle is also driving the meat analogue market.
Moreover, there has been a great emphasis from the government to promote a sober diet including more vegetables and pulses in the French diet habits and rebalance the protein intake from animal and plant sources. The government is also encouraging domestic production of plant protein sources to attain self-sufficiency in the domestic protein requirements. The growing demand for plant protein in France due to agroecological and nutritional transition has made it mandatory to direct efforts towards attaining autonomy in the protein sector.
The pandemic situation has also resulted in consumers becoming more conscious about quality and healthy food products. Plant-based dairy and nutrition products recorded high sales in 2020, owing to increased demand for healthy food products for eating at home. Lockdown situations also resulted in pantry loading by consumers contributing to augmented sales of products during the first quarter.
Veganism is on the rise in France. Despite the rich food culture known for its meat-based culinary and large variety of cheese, the French food industry has embraced veganism without compromising on taste and texture with plant-based protein innovations.
According to ConsumerIntel360’s Q4 2020 Global Plant Protein Survey, the vegetarian and vegan market in France grew by 37% in 2020, a trend expected to continue over the medium to long term. The trend towards a vegan diet is largely driven by the intent for a rebalance of animal and plant protein intake in the French diet.
Food processing companies in France are reducing the number of ingredients in their food products, indicating an inclination towards fewer ingredients as a future food trend. With rising consciousness for the food they eat, consumers are increasingly demanding clarity and transparency in the ingredients list on food products. Food manufacturers will have to promote food sobriety by making their products simpler and with fewer ingredients to provide consumers with a home-style food experience at a reasonable cost. This trend is of significant importance for the meat alternative manufacturers who have focused on long ingredient list and a relatively high cost.
Major food manufacturers such as Nestle (Garden Gourmet) and Unilever (The Vegetarian Butcher) are increasingly investing in the plant protein segment and in innovative start-ups in the segment to acquire more consumers. Targeting the large vegan, vegetarian and flexitarian consumers in France, it is expected that this category of the French population to grow rapidly and create a large business opportunity. Meat alternative food chains such as Beyond Burger and Food for Tomorrow accelerated their international expansion to enter the French market in the year 2020.
The plant protein market in France has recorded a strong growth with a CAGR of 19.9% during 2018-2020. According to ConsumerIntel360’s Q4 2020 Global Plant Protein Survey, increase in demand, and investments are expected to further drive innovation and inorganic growth in the plant-based protein industry in France.
With incumbents attempting to protect/enhance their market share in this burgeoning space, the market is expected to record increase in new products. As the food manufacturers go aggressive on gaining market share in this high growth segment, understanding strategic initiatives, product claims, ingredients, and changing consumer preferences in a structured way will be important to gain market share.
The market growth has been supported by the ongoing COVID – 19 pandemic. The demand for plant proteins is expected to increase significantly in the short to medium term.
Plant protein industry is expected to continue to grow in France over the forecast period. It is expected to record a CAGR of 10.7% during 2021-2027. The plant protein consumption in the country will increase from US$ 728.7 million in 2020 to reach US$ 1560.0 million by 2027.
This business intelligence report from ConsumerIntel360 aims to analyze market opportunities and risks in plant protein industry in France. This report offers a detailed view of market opportunity by end user segments, product categories, ingredients, applications, key cities, competing protein segments, price point, and shift in consumption by consumer demographics. In addition, for each product category, this report details demand gap / white space analysis, competitive landscape, brand share, claims analysis, and ingredient analysis.
• White Space Analysis: For each product category, this report provides market opportunities across price point and key end-use segments.
• Product Innovation: Captures key innovative plant protein product launches in France along with claims, product positioning and targeting.
• Competitive Landscape and Brand Share Analysis: Provides a snapshot of overall competitive landscape and brand share by product category.
• Product Claims Analysis: Provides a detailed view on top claims and emerging claims, offering insights into changing targeting strategy adopted by leading plant protein manufacturers.
• Changing Consumer Preferences: Quantified details on changing consumer preferences along with forecast.
• Plant Protein Consumption by Ingredients: Provides a detailed view of opportunities across key plant protein ingredients (Soy, Pea, Beans & Lentils, Hemp, Flaxseed, Pumpkin & Other Seeds, Brown Rice, Quinoa, Spirulina & Seaweed, and Nuts)
• Plant Protein Sales by Channel: Sales breakdown by online vs. offline channels.
• Plant Protein Sales by Retail Outlet: Sales breakdown by retail outlets grouped by four categories – Diversified Stores, Pharmaceutical & Wellness Stores, Healthcare and Fitness Centers, and Specialist Sports Stores.
• Plant Protein Consumption by Functional Product Type: Plant protein consumption breakdown by 3 segments – Ready to Eat, Ready to Drink, Ready to Mix, and Ready to Cook.
• Plant Protein Consumption by Product Categories: Detailed market size and forecast by eight product categories – Nutrition Supplements, Protein Bars, Sports Nutrition, Meal Alternative, Dairy Alternatives, Meat Alternatives, Bakery Products, and Infant Formulas.
• Plant Protein Consumption by Price Points: Plant protein demand analysis by price points – Premium, Mid-Tier, and Low End.
• Plant Protein Consumption by Cities: Plant protein demand analysis by key cities grouped under three segments – Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3.
• Plant Protein Consumption by Consumer Demographics: Plant protein demand / consumption analysis by age, gender, and income levels.
This research report provides in-depth analysis of plant protein industry in France, providing white space / gap analysis, product innovation, product claims analysis, and brand share analysis, competitive landscape, market size across 50+ segments. Below is the taxonomy, providing detailed scope of coverage.
France Plant Protein Market Dynamics – Strategy & Innovation
• Competitive Landscape Snapshot
• White Space / Demand Gap Analysis by Product Category
• Brand Share by Product Category
• Key Innovative Launches
• Insights on Market Dynamics
France Plant Protein Market Size by Ingredients
• Beans & Lentils
• Flaxseed, Pumpkin & Other
• Brown Rice
• Spirulina & Seaweed
France Plant Protein Market Size by Product Categories
• Nutrition Supplements
• Protein Bars
• Sports Nutrition
• Meal Alternative
• Dairy Alternatives
• Meat Alternatives
• Bakery Products
• Infant Formulas
France Plant Protein Market Size by Functional Segments
• Ready to Mix
• Ready to Eat
• Ready to Drink
• Ready to Cook
France Plant Protein Market Share Analysis by Sales Channels
France Plant Protein Market Share Analysis by Type of Retail Outlet
• Pharmaceutical & Medical Store
• Grocery Retailers
• Health and Wellness Stores
• Specialist Sports Store
France Plant Protein Market Size by Retail Sales Pricing
• Low End
France Plant Protein Market Size by Cities
• Tier 1 Cities
• Tier 2 Cities
• Tier 3 Cities
France Plant Protein Consumption by Demographics
Key Plant Protein Brands in France (based on consumer popularity)
• Amfit Nutrition
• BBGenics Sports Nutrition
• Beyond Meat
• Biotech USA
• Body & Fit
• CARREFOUR VEGGIE
• CEREAL BIO
• Le Gaulois
• life loving foods
• My Protein
• Novo Nutrition
• Now Foods
• NOW Sports
• nutri +
• Nutri-Plus Shape & Shake
• Optimum Nutrition
• Rude Health Foods
• SCI-MX Nutrition
• Sevenhills K15Wholefoods
• The Lupine Co.
• THE PROTEIN WORKS
• TheHealthyTree Company
• Veggie Marche
Reasons to Buy
• Market Opportunity: Get detailed understanding of plant protein market opportunity in France across 50+ segments.
• White Space Analysis: Understand gap in demand / supply across product categories and identify unique opportunities.
• Competitive Landscape & Brand Share: Get a detailed view on competitive landscape along with key brands across plant protein product categories.
• Strategy & Innovation: In-depth understanding of strategies adopted to gain market share along with a snapshot of key innovative plant protein product launches.
• Consumer Preference & Buying Behaviour: Gain insights into changing consumer consumption & buying preferences across plant protein product categories.
• Distribution Channel: Fine tune sales and distribution strategy by focusing on right channels to maximize ROI.
Learn how to effectively navigate the market research process to help guide your organization on the journey to success.Download eBook