Summary The Peruvian baby food market has seen growth both in terms of value and volume between 2009 and 2015 but remains smaller in comparison to many other Latin American countries. The market remains small in Peru as only a minority of parents are able to afford commercial baby food and deceleration in the economic growth being the other reason. The home-made food, standard whole milk powder and cereals along with other alternatives are preferred by the mothers as they regard them to be healthier for their babies in comparison to the high priced baby food products available in the market. In value terms for 2015, baby milks dominated sales with 90%, wet meals with 6% and cereals with 4%. GDP is expected to expand annually by around 4% over the next few years. Increased prosperity should, however, slowly increase the number of families able to afford to buy commercial baby food. All sectors are therefore expected to expand steadily over the forecast period by 2021.
Key Findings - Baby milks dominate sales with 90% of value and 70% of volume in 2015.
- Fruit-based products represent the vast majority of other baby food imports, accounting for virtually 100% of the total in 2014.
- Most of the market is supplied by imports, with local production playing only a minor role.
- Most baby food is bought by consumers living in urban areas, mostly in the capital Lima, or along the coast, and the majority of these consumers belong to the wealthier classes.
- The market is still developing and all sectors are expected to achieve some growth over the next six years, pushing up per capita consumption of baby food by 19% in 2021.
Synopsis “Baby Food in Peru” is an analytical report by Canadean which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Peru market.
What else does this report offer?
- Consumption data based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing work and our in-house expertise to offer extensive data about the trends and dynamics affecting the industry.
- Detailed profile of the companies operating and new companies considering entry in the industry along with their key focus product sectors.
- Market profile of the various product sectors with the key features & developments, segmentation, per capita trends and the various manufacturers & brands.
- Overview of baby food retailing with a mention of the major retailers in the country along with the distribution channel.
- Future projections considering various trends which are likely to affect the industry.
Reasons To Buy - Evaluate important changes in consumer behavior and identify profitable markets and areas for product innovation.
- Analyze current and forecast behavior trends in each category to identify the best opportunities to exploit.
- Detailed understanding of consumption by individual product categories in order to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Investigates which categories are performing the best and how this is changing market dynamics.