Tantalum Market - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2022 - 2027)
The tantalum market was valued at around 2.2 kilotons in 2021, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 6% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
COVID-19 halted the growth of several metal markets all around the world. Thereby impacting the market negatively but the market has been estimated to have reached pre-pandemic levels. Key Highlights
Key Market TrendsCapacitors to Dominate the Market
- Over the short term, major factors driving the market studied are the growth from the electrical and electronic industry and extensive usage of tantalum alloys in aviation and gas turbines.
- Replacement of solid capacitors with polymer tantalum capacitors is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- However, the detrimental effect of tantalum powder is expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- The capacitor's application segment dominated the market with major shares of the total tantalum consumed are used as powder and wire to make capacitors in the electronics industry.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the world, with the largest consumption from the countries, such as China and South Korea.
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Tantalum is highly conductive of heat and electricity, and this property has made it the material of choice for electronic capacitors.
- In addition, the ability of tantalum to form an extremely thin oxide coating that acts as a protection layer makes its involvement inevitable in the production of small, high-quality capacitors. Wire and powder are the most used forms of tantalum. These are engaged in the production of capacitors.
- Tantalum capacitors have the highest capacitance per unit volume of any capacitor and are used extensively in miniaturized electrical circuitry. As the market moves to greater miniaturization, the tantalum capacitor finds increased application in space-sensitive and high-end applications in telecommunications, data storage, and implantable medical devices.
- The use of tantalum capacitors with polymer cathode systems continues in many industry segments. Intrinsically conductive polymers, such as PPY (Polypyrrole) and PEDOT (poly(3,4-ethylene dioxythiophene)), have become the polymer material sets of choice for tantalum capacitors.
- Based on the aforementioned aspects the capacitors application is expected to dominate the market in the forecast period (2022-2027).
- Asia-Pacific had the highest share in the global market in 2021. The region is primarily driven by the increase in the demand from end-user industries, including electronics, aerospace, and medical equipment.
- China is the largest consumer of tantalum in Asia-Pacific. Capacitors and high-end military applications are the key consumption areas for tantalum in the country.
- In the domestic market, there is no significant market access difference between international manufacturers and domestic manufacturers. The imported industrial-grade tantalum capacitor products used in some projects are likely to be replaced by domestic tantalum capacitor products. The market share of domestic tantalum capacitors is expected to continue rising in the next three to five years.
- In India, the National Policy on Electronics 2019 aims to promote domestic manufacturing and export in the entire value-chain of Electronics System Design and Manufacturing (ESDM) to achieve a turnover of INR 26 trillion (USD 400 billion) by 2025.
- The Government of India has taken several steps for the promotion of the domestic electronics manufacturing industry and exports from the country. So far, 212 projects have been approved with proposed investments of INR 551.82 billion.
- Based on the aforementioned factors, Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the tantalum market during the forecast period (2022-2027).
The tantalum market is partially consolidated in nature, in terms of tantalum mining companies. The major companies include Global Advanced Metals Pty Ltd, AMG Advanced Metallurgical Group NV, Pilbara Minerals, Ningxia Orient Tantalum Industry Co. Ltd, and Minsur (Mining Taboca).Additional Benefits:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
AMG Advanced Metallurgical Group NV
Alliance Mineral Assets Limited
China Minmetals Corporation
CNMC Ningxia Orient Group Co. Ltd
Ethiopian Mineral Development Share Company
Global Advanced Metals Pty Ltd
Jiangxi Tungsten Industry Group Co. Ltd
Minsur (Mining Taboca)
Piran Resources Limited (Pella Resources Limited)
Tantalex Resources Corporation
Techmet (KEMET GROUP)
- 1 INTRODUCTION
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
- 2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- 3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- 4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Increasing Demand from the Electrical and Electronics Industry
- 4.1.2 Extensive Usage of Tantalum Alloys in Aviation and Gas Turbines
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 Harmful Effects of Tantalum and Decrease in Demand from End-user Industries
- 4.2.2 Other Restraints
- 4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
- 4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
- 4.4.5 Degree of Competition
- 4.5 Trade Analysis
- 4.6 Technological Snapshot
- 4.7 Price Index
- 4.8 Regulatory Policy Analysis
- 5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 Product
- 5.1.1 Metal
- 5.1.2 Carbide
- 5.1.3 Powder
- 5.1.4 Alloys
- 5.1.5 Other Product Forms
- 5.2 Application
- 5.2.1 Capacitors
- 5.2.2 Semiconductors
- 5.2.3 Engine Turbine Blades
- 5.2.4 Chemical Processing Equipment
- 5.2.5 Medical Equipment
- 5.2.6 Other Applications (includes Ballistics, Cutting Tools, Optical Applications)
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 Production Analysis
- 18.104.22.168 United States
- 22.214.171.124 Australia
- 126.96.36.199 Brazil
- 188.8.131.52 China
- 184.108.40.206 Congo
- 220.127.116.11 Ethiopia
- 18.104.22.168 Nigeria
- 22.214.171.124 Rwanda
- 126.96.36.199 Other Countries
- 5.3.2 Consumption Analysis
- 188.8.131.52 Asia-Pacific
- 184.108.40.206.1 China
- 220.127.116.11.2 India
- 18.104.22.168.3 Japan
- 22.214.171.124.4 South Korea
- 126.96.36.199.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 188.8.131.52 North America
- 184.108.40.206.1 United States
- 220.127.116.11.2 Canada
- 18.104.22.168.3 Mexico
- 22.214.171.124 Europe
- 126.96.36.199.1 Germany
- 188.8.131.52.2 United Kingdom
- 184.108.40.206.3 Italy
- 220.127.116.11.4 France
- 18.104.22.168.5 Rest of Europe
- 22.214.171.124 South America
- 126.96.36.199.1 Brazil
- 188.8.131.52.2 Argentina
- 184.108.40.206.3 Rest of South America
- 220.127.116.11 Middle-East and Africa
- 18.104.22.168.1 Saudi Arabia
- 22.214.171.124.2 South Africa
- 126.96.36.199.3 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
- 6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
- 6.2 Market Ranking Analysis
- 6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
- 6.4 Company Profiles
- 6.4.1 AMG Advanced Metallurgical Group NV
- 6.4.2 Alliance Mineral Assets Limited
- 6.4.3 China Minmetals Corporation
- 6.4.4 CNMC Ningxia Orient Group Co. Ltd
- 6.4.5 Ethiopian Mineral Development Share Company
- 6.4.6 Global Advanced Metals Pty Ltd
- 6.4.7 Jiangxi Tungsten Industry Group Co. Ltd
- 6.4.8 Minsur (Mining Taboca)
- 6.4.9 Pilbara Minerals
- 6.4.10 Piran Resources Limited (Pella Resources Limited)
- 6.4.11 Tantalex Resources Corporation
- 6.4.12 Tantec GmbH
- 6.4.13 Techmet (KEMET GROUP)
- 6.4.14 Taniobis GmbH
- 7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
- 7.1 Replacement of Solid Capacitors with Polymer Tantalum Capacitors