Botanical and Plant-Derived Drugs: Global Markets
The global market for botanical and plant-derived drugs was valued at $23.2 billion in 2013 and $24.4 billion in 2014. This total market is expected to reach $25.6 billion in 2015 and nearly $35.4 billion in 2020, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.6% from 2015 to 2020.
This report provides:
An overview of the botanical drug industry, with the overall plant-derived drug industry as a backdrop and the global market for these drugs going forward.
Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2013 and 2014, estimates for 2015, and projections of CAGRs through 2020.
A focus on legal, prescription-required therapeutic medicines sold in the open market; the study does not specifically cover herbals generally sold as dietary supplements (i.e., to promote overall “wellness” rather than to address a specific medical condition or symptoms).
Examination of the industry structure, competition, and market drivers.
Discussion of market size and segmentation, including breakdowns of sales by therapeutic area and geographic area.
Observations and conclusions regarding the future of the botanical and plant-derived drug industry
SCOPE OF REPORT
This report is an analytical business tool whose primary purpose is to describe the botanical drug industry with the overall plant-derived drug industry as a backdrop and the global market for these drugs going forward.
For the purposes of this report, botanicals are those drugs that are FDA-approved under the botanical drug pathway, while plant-derived drugs are both botanicals as well as other approved drugs that contain a mixture of natural plant-derived and synthetic or semisynthetic substances.
The study’s main focus is on legal, prescription-required therapeutic medicines sold in the open market. The study does not specifically cover herbals generally sold as dietary supplements (i.e., to promote overall “wellness” rather than to address a specific medical condition or symptoms). While there is a substantial market for these products, the medical value of many of these substances has not been demonstrated conclusively.
The study also does not cover the following:
Underground or illicit drugs.
Drugs derived from Archaea, bacteria and fungi (molds and yeasts).
Nonmedicinal plant substances such as laxative cellulose and pectin fiber.
Intravenously delivered nutrients of plant origin, such as dextrose.
Plant-derived substances serving as pharmaceutical excipients, such as starch, methylcellulose, guar gum, vegetable oils, fatty acids, cocoa butter and candelilla wax.
Plant substances serving in cosmetics, toiletries and personal care products.
Microbial fermentation products, even those made with culture media incorporating corn steep liquor, starch or other plant-derived nutrients.
The format of the study is organized around the following topics:
Major types and applications of botanical drugs with plant-derived drugs as their backdrop.
Market size and segmentation, including the breakdown of sales by therapeutic area and geographic area.
Market projections through 2020.
Observations and conclusions regarding the future of the botanical and plant-derived drug industry.
- CHAPTER 1 INTRODUCTION
- STUDY BACKGROUND
- STUDY GOAL AND OBJECTIVES
- INTENDED AUDIENCE
- SCOPE OF REPORT
- METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
- COMMERCIAL DRUGS
- DEVELOPMENTAL DRUGS
- TABLE A FDA APPROVAL PROCESS FOR NEW DRUGS
- ANALYST'S CREDENTIALS
- RELATED BCC RESEARCH REPORTS
- BCC RESEARCH WEBSITE
- CHAPTER 2 SUMMARY
- SUMMARY TABLE GLOBAL FORECAST FOR BOTANICAL* AND PLANT-DERIVED DRUGS, THROUGH 2020 ($ MILLIONS)
- SUMMARY FIGURE GLOBAL FORECAST FOR BOTANICAL* AND PLANT-DERIVED DRUGS, 2013-2020 ($ MILLIONS)
- CHAPTER 3 OVERVIEW
- BRIEF HISTORY OF PLANT-DERIVED MEDICINES
- TABLE 1 KEY DATES IN BOTANICAL MEDICINE
- TABLE 2 WELL KNOWN PLANT-DERIVED DRUGS
- OPPORTUNITY LIES BEYOND WHAT IS KNOWN
- FIGURE 1 TYPE OF NATURAL PRODUCT DRUGS SUBMITTED AS IND
- APPLICATIONS TO THE FDA, 2008 (% SHARES)
- GETTING STARTED
- KEY DRIVERS
- KEY CHALLENGES
- U.S. GOVERNMENT INVESTMENT
- INDUSTRY INVESTMENT
- TABLE 3 SWOT ANALYSIS OF BOTANICAL DRUG DEVELOPMENT
- TABLE 4 KEY INVESTMENTS IN BOTANICAL AND OTHER PLANT-DERIVED
- NUTRITION SCIENCE PARTNERS LTD. (NESTLE HEALTH): A CASE STUDY
- BOTANICAL DRUGS DEFINED
- UNDERSTANDING THE REGULATORY PROCESS
- TABLE 5 DISTINCTIONS AMONG PRODUCTS THAT USE PLANTS MEDICINALLY
- INVESTIGATIONAL NEW DRUG APPLICATIONS
- CLINICAL TRIALS
- NEW DRUG APPLICATION
- THE FIRST AND SECOND APPROVED BOTANICAL
- VEREGEN (CHINESE GREEN TEA CATECHINS)
- Advice from FDA Based on Veregen Approval
- FULYZAQ (CROFELEMER)
- BOTANICAL CANDIDATES IN THE PIPELINE
- SAMITAL AND PANAX GINSENG
- FEMARELLE AND BRIZO
- SHINBARO CAPSULE
- DANSHEN DRIPPING PILL (CARDIOTONIC PILL)
- EISO (EAST INDIAN SANDALWOOD OIL)
- MICROBIO AND WH-1, MB-6, AND OB318
- TABLE 6 BOTANICAL COMPOSITION OF MENERBA (MF 101)*
- A GROWING PIPELINE
- FIGURE 2 TOP THERAPEUTIC AREAS OF FDA DRUG APPROVALS*, 2014 (NO. OF DRUG APPROVALS)
- FIGURE 3 SNAPSHOT OF U.S. FDA BOTANICAL PIPELINE IN 2012
- OVERALL PHARMA LANDSCAPE
- TABLE 7 TOP PHARMA COMPANIES BY SALES, 2014 ($ BILLIONS)
- TABLE 8 MAJOR UPCOMING U.S. PATENT EXPIRIES, 2014-2019
- FIGURE 4 PHARMA DRUG SALES BY REGION, 2014 AND 2019 (% OF MARKET SHARE)
- MAJOR CLASSES OF PLANT DRUGS
- Terpenes and Steroids
- Alkaloids and Glycosides
- Ergot Alkaloids
- Morphine Alkaloids
- Vinca Alkaloids
- Cardiac Glycosides
- E. Cava Algae
- INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
- A NEW TYPE OF PRODUCTION: PLANT-MADE DRUGS
- MOVING PRODUCTION FORWARD
- ARTEMISININ: A CASE STUDY
- SUPPLY AND LEGAL ISSUES
- TABLE 9 MAJOR PRODUCERS OF RAW MATERIALS FOR PLANT-BASED
- DRUG DEVELOPMENT AND MANUFACTURE
- TABLE 10 KEY COMPANIES WITH NATURAL PRODUCT LIBRARIES
- CHAPTER 4 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- GEOGRAPHIC SEGMENTATION
- SALES OF PLANT-DERIVED DRUGS BY REGION
- THERAPEUTIC AREA SEGMENTATION
- NUMBER OF PLANT-DERIVED DRUGS BY THERAPEUTIC AREA
- TABLE 11 NUMBER OF FDA APPROVED BOTANICAL DRUGS, THROUGH 2020 (NUMBER)
- FIGURE 5 COMPOSITION OF FDA APPROVED BOTANICAL INDICATIONS FORECAST BY THERAPEUTIC AREA, 2015 AND 2020 (%)
- VALUE OF PLANT-DERIVED DRUGS BY THERAPEUTIC AREA
- TABLE 12 RELATIVE VALUES OF FDA APPROVED BOTANICAL DRUGS FORECAST BY THERAPEUTIC AREA, THROUGH 2020 ($ MILLIONS)
- FIGURE 6 RELATIVE VALUE SHARE OF FDA APPROVED BOTANICAL DRUGS FORECAST BY THERAPEUTIC AREA, 2015 AND 2020 (%)
- CHAPTER 5 THERAPEUTIC AREAS FOR BOTANICAL AND PLANT-DERIVED
- HORMONE THERAPY AND METABOLISM APPLICATIONS
- TABLE 13 PLANT-DERIVED HORMONE THERAPY AND METABOLISM DRUGS
- IN LATE STAGE DEVELOPMENT
- INFECTIOUS DISEASE APPLICATIONS
- TABLE 14 PLANT-DERIVED INFECTIOUS DISEASE DRUGS IN LATE STAGE
- PAIN AND CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM DISEASE APPLICATIONS
- TABLE 15 BRAIN DISORDERS THAT ARE REFRACTORY TO SMALL MOLECULE
- TABLE 16 PLANT-DERIVED PAIN AND CNS DRUGS IN LATE STAGE
- CARDIOVASCULAR AND METABOLIC DISEASE APPLICATIONS
- TABLE 17 PLANT-DERIVED CARDIOVASCULAR AND METABOLIC DRUGS IN LATE STAGE DEVELOPMENT
- RESPIRATORY, INFLAMMATION (BOTH NONRELATED AND RELATED TO
- ORTHOPEDIC) AND AUTOIMMUNE APPLICATIONS
- TABLE 18 PLANT-DERIVED RESPIRATORY, INFLAMMATION (BOTH NON-RELATED AND RELATED TO ORTHOPEDIC) AND AUTOIMMUNE DRUGS IN LATE STAGE DEVELOPMENT
- DERMATOLOGY APPLICATIONS
- TABLE 19 PLANT-DERIVED DERMATOLOGY/WOUND CARE DRUGS IN LATE
- STAGE DEVELOPMENT
- GASTROINTESTINAL APPLICATIONS
- TABLE 20 PLANT-DERIVED GASTROINTESTINAL DRUGS IN LATE STAGE
- ONCOLOGY APPLICATIONS
- TABLE 21 ESTIMATED U.S. CANCER CASES BY GENDER, 2015
- TABLE 22 PLANT-DERIVED ONCOLOGY DRUGS IN LATE STAGE
- BOTANICAL DRUGS IN LATE STAGE DEVELOPMENT
- TABLE 23 BOTANICAL DRUGS IN LATE STAGE DEVELOPMENT WITH POSSIBLE FDA-APPROVED COMMERCIALIZATION, THROUGH 2020
- CHAPTER 6 COMPANY PROFILES
- ABBOTT LABORATORIES
- ACORDA THERAPEUTICS, INC.
- AMAREX CLINICAL RESEARCH
- ANALYTICON DISCOVERY GMBH
- ARTECEF BV
- AVESTHAGEN LTD.
- BAYER HEALTHCARE PHARMACEUTICALS
- BEIJING PEKING UNIVERSITY WBL BIOTECH CO. LTD.
- BIONORICA SE
- BIONUMERIK PHARMACEUTICALS INC.
- BOEHRINGER INGELHEIM
- PHARMATON SA
- BOTANICAL DRUG CORP.
- BRISTOL MYERS SQUIBB
- CARDAX PHARMACEUTICALS
- CHONG KUN DANG PHARMACEUTICAL CORP.
- CURAPHARM INC.
- DONGWHA PHARM CO. LTD.
- EISAI INC.
- EISAI, INC. U.S.
- EKOMED LLC
- ELI LILLY
- FYTOKEM PRODUCTS INC.
- GALAPAGOS NV
- GENSPERA INC.
- GLENMARK PHARMACEUTICALS LIMITED
- GREEN CROSS CORP.
- GREEN LABORATORIES, LLC
- GW PHARMACEUTICALS PLC
- HAMIDA PHARMA INC.
- HANMI PHARMA CO. LTD.
- HETEROGENEITY LLC
- INDUS BIOTECH
- IZUN PHARMACEUTICALS CORP.
- JOHNSON & JOHNSON
- LANZHOU FOCI PHARMACEUTICALS CO. LTD.
- LEO PHARMA
- LUPIN LTD.
- LUPIN PHARMACEUTICALS INC.
- MEDIGENE INC. (U.S. DIVISION)
- MERCK & CO. INC.
- MERLION PHARMACEUTICALS
- MICROBIO CO. LTD.
- MYCOSYNTHETIX, INC.
- NAPO PHARMACEUTICALS INC.
- NOVARTIS INTERNATIONAL AG
- THE PHARMACEUTICAL PLANT CO.
- PHARMANUTRIENTS BOTANICAL CORP.
- PHYTOCEUTICA INC.
- PHYTOMYCO RESEARCH PVT. LTD.
- PHYTOPHARMACON INC.
- PIRAMAL PHYTOCARE LTD.
- PRAIRIE PLANT SYSTEMS INC.
- PUNISYN PHARMACEUTICALS LTD. (RIMONEST LTD.)
- PURAPHARM INTERNATIONAL LTD.
- PURGENESIS TECHNOLOGIES INC.
- QUERCEGEN PHARMACEUTICALS LLC
- ROTTAPHARM (MADAUS)
- SCHWABE PHARMACEUTICALS
- SE-CURE PHARMACEUTICALS LTD.
- SEQUOIA SCIENCES INC.
- SUN PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRIES LTD.
- SUN TEN PHARMACEUTICAL CO. LTD.
- TASLY PHARMACEUTICALS INC.
- TCM BIOTECH INTERNATIONAL CORP.
- TFS CORPORATION LTD.
- VALEANT PHARMACEUTICALS INTERNATIONAL INC.
- SALIX PHARMACEUTICALS INC.
- VEDIC LIFESCIENCES PVT. LTD.
- XIANGXUE PHARMACEUTICALS, CO. LTD.
- ZHEJIANG KANGLAITE GROUP
- KANGLAITE USA
- CHAPTER 7 APPENDIX
- TABLE 24 PLANT-DERIVED DRUGS: THEIR ORIGIN AND ACTIONS
- TABLE 25 USEFUL RESOURCES FOR THE BOTANICAL DRUG INDUSTRY