This industry comprises companies the remodeling construction (including additions, alterations, reconstruction, maintenance, and repair work) of houses and other residential buildings. Included in this industry are remodeling general contractors, operative remodelers, remodeling design-build firms, and remodeling project construction management firms.
Remodeling includes additions, alterations, reconstruction, maintenance, and repair work of constructed houses and other residential buildings, both single-family, and multifamily. This market employs general contractors, operative remodelers, remodeling design-build firms, and remodeling project construction management firms.
While home renovations refer to building projects that alter the structure of an existing home, the market shares many new construction features:
- Comfort (HVAC, plumbing and electric, soundproofing and waterproofing);
- Maintenance and repair (roofing, foundation, chimney, driveways)
- Additional space (optimizing floor plans to create space in marginal areas, such as opting for a home theater over a basement, bedroom versus home office, or attic space into spare bedrooms, or expanding the floor plans horizontally or vertically)
- Saving energy (utility costs and environmental stewardship can be both be accomplished with energy-efficient thermal insulation, replacement windows, and lighting; renewable energy with biomass pellet stoves, wood-burning stoves, solar panels, wind turbines, programmable thermostats, and geothermal exchange heat pumps)
- Safety and preparedness in a home includes such features as home fire and burglar alarm systems, security doors, windows, and shutters, storm cellars as protection from tornadoes and hurricanes and backup generators for providing power during power outages