Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF) Therapeutics - Pipeline Assessment and Market Forecasts to 2018Summary
GlobalData, the industry analysis specialist, has released its new report, “Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF) Therapeutics - Pipeline Assessment and Market Forecasts to 2018”. The report is an essential source of information and analysis on the global IPF market. The report identifies the key trends shaping and driving the global IPF market. The report also provides insights on the prevalent competitive landscape and the emerging players expected to significantly alter the market positioning of the current market leaders. Most importantly, the report provides valuable insights on the pipeline products within the global IPF sector. This report is built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research and in-house analysis by GlobalData’s team of industry experts.
GlobalData valued the global idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) therapeutics market at $74.0m in 2010, and is forecast to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 50.2% over the next eight years to reach $1919.9m in 2018. This high growth rate can be attributed to the expected launch of Esbriet (pirfenidone) in Europe in 2012 (except for Germany, where it is expected to be launched in September 2011). In Japan, pirfenidone is known as Pirespa and in Europe and the US it is known as Esbriet. Pirespa (pirfenidone) was approved in Japan in 2008 and it is the only approved drug to date for the treatment of IPF. Being the first drug to be approved for IPF, it was set at a premium price in Japan. In spite of its high price, it achieved a significant market share with sales of $35m within two years of its launch. This signifies that the product acceptance for Pirespa was high in Japan. Esbriet is expected to show a similar trend after its launch in Europe and the US. Another drug, Vargatef (BIBF 1120), is also expected to be launched during the forecast period, which will provide further impetus to the IPF market. Esbriet is expected to be launched in the US in 2014. In May 2010, the FDA rejected InterMune’s application for the approval of Esbriet in the US, requesting an additional clinical study. InterMune has commenced enrollment for a new Phase III study, ASCEND (Assessment of Pirfenidone to Confirm Efficacy and Safety in IPF), results for which are expected to be available in mid-2013. InterMune anticipates a New Drug Application (NDA) resubmission for pirfenidone in the second half of 2013 and FDA action in the first half of 2014.Scope
The report provides information on the key drivers and challenges of the IPF market. Its scope includes -
Reasons to buy
- Annualized seven key markets (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK and Japan) IPF market revenues data from 2005 to 2010, forecast for eight years to 2018.
- Pipeline analysis data providing a split across the different phases, mechanisms of action being developed and emerging trends. Pipeline candidates fall under major therapeutic classes such as TGF ß1 inhibitor, triple growth factor kinase inhibitor, phosphodiesterase Type 5 inhibitor, monoclonal antibody against connective tissue growth factor, JNK inhibitor, endothelin receptor antagonist, monoclonal antibody targeting integrin avß6, monoclonal antibody against human lysyloxidase-like-2 protein, bovine type V collagen, recombinant human protein pentraxin-2, bi-specific interleukin4 /interleukin 13 antibody, lysophosphatidic acid 1 receptor antagonist, a compound consisting of interleukin 13 and cytotoxic agent P38, lipid targeting monoclonal antibody, pan-isoform inhibitor of phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase, immunoadulator, NOX1/NOX4 inhibitor, telomerase activator, pan-phosphodiesterase inhibitor, retinoic acid signaling modulator and others.
- Analysis of the current and future competition in the global IPF market. Key market players covered are Actelion Ltd., Boehringer Ingelheim, Celgene Corporation, Fibrogen Inc and InterMune Inc.
- Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide a qualitative analysis of its implications.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs and the implications for the IPF therapeutics market.
- Analysis of key recent licensing and partnership agreements in IPF market.
The report will enhance your decision making capability. It will allow you to -
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global IPF market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments and companies likely to impact the global IPF market in future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
- What’s the next big thing in the global IPF market landscape? - Identify, understand and capitalize.